Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

polyurethane glue in vacuum bag?

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

polyurethane glue in vacuum bag?

Old 11-02-2011, 11:22 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polyurethane glue in vacuum bag?

I am in the process of building a seamaster from plans. I have looked at the tail and some comments from this plane is that the tail can have a little flex in it. I was considering making a foam core vertical stabilizer sheeted with 1/16" balsa. Will Polyurethane glue cure in a vacuum bag? What other types of glue should I use?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: polyurethane glue in vacuum bag?

For that type of construction (vacuum bag) I'd stick with a slow epoxy. Any glue that requires either moisture or evaporation is not apt to cure properly that situation.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:49 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John, use Z-poxy Finishing Resin and weights. Dan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26820.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1681651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74046.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1681652  
Old 11-02-2011, 01:25 PM
fulload

The poly gule works great when you can weigh the wing sleeves down over it. Use a credit card or something to scrape as much glue off as possible. Put the balsa skin in place and weigh it down over night. I believe the poly in this case will make a stronger wing than epoxy because it will make contact with 100% of the skin and foam due to the expanding properties. Epoxy can not contact as much of the skin and probably only makes contact with about 60% of the wing.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:47 PM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the info guys. I will have to see if the foam core vertical stabilizer or a built up sheeted one would be lighter or easier to build.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Poly glue will cure in a vacuum bag for those looking for this information. Attached are photos of an eight foot wing done in one piece.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0242.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	1953187   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0245.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	651.8 KB
ID:	1953188  
Old 01-01-2014, 03:32 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

I too have used poly glue to sheet wings via vacuum bag. Worked just fine but it does not foam nearly as much. The poly verses epoxy debate as been going strong for quite a while now. IMO you will get good results with either but thinking that you get only 60% of the surface area bonded with epoxy just tells me you are not prepping the cores correctly. Personally I use epoxy simply because I like to add glass or CF reinforcements at the time of sheeting.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:08 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I too have vacuum bagged both G/G, foam, and balsa sheeted wings as well as epoxy and sheeted foam wings, both cures completely but I prefer going the slow cure epoxy route.

Bob
Old 01-04-2014, 12:41 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

John, just to muddy the waters a bit I'm going to suggest another option. If you go with built up instead of balsa sheeting use thin plywood. I've done two T tail 2 meter gliders that I wanted to be stiff yet light and in both cases I opted for built up with 1/64 ply skins. The slick thing is that lower edge tails of the plywood extended down over the carbon boom I used on one version and into the hard balsa used for the sides of the other to provide a really solid lower joint to the T tail.

The slick thing is that the 1/64 ply weighs about the same as medium density 1/16 balsa. So there is no real weight penalty but the fin ends up much more stiff than if I had used balsa.

On a bigger and heavier model I'd bump the skins for the fin up to 1/32. But there's no need to use anything thicker at all.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:13 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

For those of us that build very large models with foam core wings 1/16 medium balsa sheeting is a superior way to go because there is enough material to perform a good needed spline sanding on the wings truing the surface and further reducing weight as we balance the weight between the two wing halves as we sand.

Bob