Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cad drawing a wing that has only one straight line

Hey Gang

I have drawn a lot in CAD, but I have never drawn a wing before this one, it is a challenge. The wing is for the Cessna T-50/U-78/JRC-1. The LE, TE and bottom of the wing all have angles to the main spar. It has two main spars, the trailing spar also has an angle to the front one. The ribs vary from about 2-1/2 thick at the center to about 3/4 on the outer most rib. And bout 14" from the center to about 8" so the radius on the LE of the ribs is going to be a challenge as it is a symmetrical wing.

The only straight line on this wing is the LE main spar so that's where I start my work, all the drawings in the plans I have need to be redrawn, nothing about it anywhere in the drawing is correct, I did order a second set of plans of this plane from a second source that has the same problems in the drawing.

Anyone having CAD experience with any method recommendations I'd appreciate. Otherwise I will just slug it out.

Bassard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'm a self-taught amateur with CAD but I did do an eliptical wing for a Val dive bomber. Maybe some of the techniques I used would help. The drawings I have here are pdf files and RCU can't post them. We could discuss by email if you are interested.
    Chuck
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maidenrk9.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	1953271

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    CompuFoil3D would be a good to have use it on all my wings!
    Kits: F11C-2 1:4, Do-24T 1:8, P-3 1:10, Howard 500 1:5, XFY-1 1:4, SR-9 1:4, V-22 1/6, B-25J 1:4, F+W C3603 1:5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool

Bassard,

I would use that straight LE as my reference line.

The radii of the LE of the ribs will be circles of different diameter, each of those being tangent to the LE line.

For difficult curved lines, you can use a polyline (doing a succession of small lines) and then using the smooth polyline function.

Best!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cessna_t-50.gif 
Views:	12 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	1953328
    Lnewqban - "God will not look you over for medals, degrees or diplomas, but for scars. He has achieved success who has worked well, laughed often, and loved much." - Elbert Hubbard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    oldbassard

Since everything on/in a wing hangs off the main spar I would draw it in all three axis first and then dimension everything from there.
    Dave
    Wait for it.......

AMA77397
    Club Saito #797
    FA-50, FA-50GK, FA91S