Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

WINGS ICED UP Grounded for defrost. What to do till then.

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

WINGS ICED UP Grounded for defrost. What to do till then.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:40 AM
oldbassard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WINGS ICED UP Grounded for defrost. What to do till then.

There is no RC flying in Oklahoma at the time, everything is record low and ice everywhere around Tulsa so I am grounded. I have decided to get after the 2d drawing I am working on. Maybe I'll be ready to send it to a cutter in a few weeks. I am finding the old saying "Use it or lose it is true" I haven't used 2d CAD in a while and am finding you do forget, by not staying in practice. I have posted here that I am working on it but I haven't told anyone about the unusual problems I have had with it. When I first started it at my house, I had worked on it at least 10 hours on the first day, in the evening I went too get a cup of coffee and before I got back we had a power flash. I had just set up the computer and forgot to set the auto save so I lost all the work I had done.

I started again and got all the wing, nacelles and cowl drawn for the T-50, the computer just completely shut down suddenly. I called a tech to check it out, the power supply had died. I have decided to delete the drawing I have done on the wing and start all over for the practice, and also I think I can do it better.

Anyone else drawing anything?

Bassard
Old 01-07-2014, 07:20 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You soon learn when doing CAD to save every few minutes if you are making lots of changes/progress. That one simple keystroke can save you many hours of labor.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:53 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"That one simple keystroke can save you many hours of labor."

I don't know what program you're using, but the ones that I have used have an "auto save" function that you can set to save every X number of minutes. I usually set mine for 10. It was sometimes bothersome, if it did that in the middle of a complex operation, but it was better than using the time and train of thought.

Les
Old 01-08-2014, 07:17 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Here in N. Idaho we build in "De-icing boots" in our wings so we can fly in the winter. Might be something you will want to do before building the wings.......
Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 PM
ARUP

I think those long skinny balloons used to make 'balloon animals' would make great de-icers for models. Just hook up a CO2 bottle with remote controlled valve.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Gizmo-RCU

Good aren't we?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:59 AM
oldbassard

ARUP and Gizmo, I have a 2000 lb Black Angus bull that can't produce as much bull chat as you two. lol
Old 01-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Gizmo-RCU

That's what happens when you get old........
Old 01-10-2014, 05:29 PM
ARUP

That is so funny, oldbassard! Whoyoucallinold! Why... I can wup you with or without wearin' my Depends! lol