Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Laser cutting question

Hey Gang

I am working on drawing my Cessna T-50. I have questions about how to? I am redrawing my wing ribs after a little computer problem before. I do have questions about doing the ribs. I have never hand cut ribs before and don't think I posses the skills to do this right without using 30-40 pounds of balsa for less than a half pound of ribs. (Speaking of them like this is making me think of BBQ) So I know I should have them laser cut.

I do know there are some businesses out there who charge double the price to do this than others simply because they can and they have the opportunity because of their joint ventures. Does anyone know of a laser cutting company in the USA that does this at a fair rate that also does good reputable work?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Check with Joe Leach with Indiana Laser Cutting his email is: jleach@tds.net He has cut several projects for me and is very reasonable. I won't hesitate to use him again. Now he works full time in addition to doing Laser Cutting and that does affect ship dates at times. He's a one man job but that helps the consistency of the product. He is very reliable and does great work. You can tell him Mike in Oklahoma City (Infernalbirdman1) recommended him, he'll know who you are talking about.
    Top Flite Brotherhood # 1
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Ryan STA/STM/SC-M/W Brotherhood # 27
    SIG Kadet Brotherhood # 89
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73
    Vice President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird brotherhood
    Founder and president of the Builders Slower Than a Dead Turtle Nailed to a Fence Post Association
    My bench where you always find the weird and unusual!
    I bought a reusable kit the other day, it came with it's own large black trash bag!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Sky King!!!!!
    Last edited by Avaiojet; 01-08-2014 at 08:06 PM.
    Owner: CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder." cfcgraphics.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Joe was able to help with converting and still be reasonable.
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73
    Vice President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird brotherhood
    Founder and president of the Builders Slower Than a Dead Turtle Nailed to a Fence Post Association
    I bought a reusable kit the other day, it came with it's own large black trash bag!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Vector format? Is that a format used in CAD? I would like to learn how to use CAD. I guess it's not as simple to just import a jpeg of your plans into a CAD program is it? I mean, do you have to actually re draw everything in the program?
    Alan

CORSAIR Brotherhood # 90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Alan,

You do vocal? I play the Banjo and I have no idea why?

CAD, you have to draw it all. (But I'll get back to that.) Or someone sends you a file and you add to it or correct it. My drawing program isn't a CAD program. But I truly believe my program is as good as any 2D CAD program.

I can bring in a JPEG or a Tiff and do an automatic trace. You wind up with a vector file. However, only for pictoral art, can't do plans or three views this way. Well, I can't. There's to much "clean up." Might as well draw everything from scratch, as I do.

I draw all the models I design and the parts for them with my program.

Here's an example.

Chaz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4481.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	1955493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4480.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	1955494   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5901.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	1955495  
    Last edited by Avaiojet; 01-08-2014 at 04:59 PM.
    Owner: CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder." cfcgraphics.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Chaz,

If you're referring to my songs, I played everything and tried to sing. lol
    I used to have a free download of Draftsite in which I messed around with but could never figure it out. It would be nice to be able to design, draw and build my own plane. One day..
    Alan

CORSAIR Brotherhood # 90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Old ,
    What program are you drawing them in? What size is it and how may ribs? What airfoil are you using?

Tim
    Last edited by tdstaf; 01-08-2014 at 06:01 PM.
    Who says scale warbirds have to be GIANT.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Vector format isn't something you should have to use before sending your CAD drawings to a cutter. A cutter will have Pronest or a similar program to convert your DWG for his machine.to do the job. Any reputable cutter should have the ability to convert a DWG or DXF to any type of file they need for their machine. Some people with small shops may need them as a vector or other specific types of files before you send them.. I will email Joe Leach and see what type of file he requests.

I play a banjo too (I get so tired of people wanting to hear me play dueling Banjos, with no guitar to follow).

The Cessna T-50 I am doing is 64" wingspan. I am going to use a pair of 45 sized brushless motors. Chaz, Hmmm 80" wingspan sounds cool, what size of motors does yours take?

drube, vector isn't a program you find in autocad. It's primarily used in art and graphics and a really interesting program

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Mike Thanks, I'll shoot him an email.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Laserworks now cuts a short kit for the RCM UC78 plans ( wish I knew before I cut mine). Check this page on their site under Cessna UC78 about midway down the page..

http://lazer-works.com/rcm.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbassard View Post
    Vector format isn't something you should have to use before sending your CAD drawings to a cutter. A cutter will have Pronest or a similar program to convert your DWG for his machine.to do the job. Any reputable cutter should have the ability to convert a DWG or DXF to any type of file they need for their machine. Some people with small shops may need them as a vector or other specific types of files before you send them.. I will email Joe Leach and see what type of file he requests.

I play a banjo too (I get so tired of people wanting to hear me play dueling Banjos, with no guitar to follow).

The Cessna T-50 I am doing is 64" wingspan. I am going to use a pair of 45 sized brushless motors. Chaz, Hmmm 80" wingspan sounds cool, what size of motors does yours take?

drube, vector isn't a program you find in autocad. It's primarily used in art and graphics and a really interesting program

Wanna buy a banjo?

I believe you missed my point. You cannot send a bitmap or raster file to a laser person and expect that file to run his machine.

Either the program your working in, or somebody, has to create a vector format file for the cutter.

Tons of programs that create vector line drawings and art. Most with three innitials, except AI.

If the file ain't vector, the machine has no line to follow.

Yes, we all have the ability of opening files saved many ways. That's common.

Every model in the following photos, the graphics or lettering, was produced in my software program. Now get this. I cut vinyl with the vector file, however, If I sent these files to a CNC guy, he could cut the stuff in metal, same with a laser for balsa cutting. Vector is vector. Just a simple constant line.

Take a look!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...ry&memid=11343

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Zip, WOW, you just saved me a LOT of Cad time, thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    JPO Yearly Member. Retired ATP B-727, HS-125, IA-JET

AMA Turbine CD Waiver Holder- BVM F-16, CARF-Viper, Flash, Super Extra 3.2M, 44%Giles, Extra 330, 1/8th scale F-18, flying r/c since I was 11 years old.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    if you save an image in jpeg format,you have created a vector based image,that most lazers can interpret.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    alex5,

With all due respect. A Vector line and a JPEG are very different. The JPEG is bits, not a continous line.

You need a continous line for any cutting equipment.

I do this all the time.

Sometimes I have to create Vector lines over JPEG images because this is the only art that is supplied.

Research "Vector," and "Raster." I really hate using the word Raster. :-(.

Yes, there are programs that create vector lines from JPEG or bit map imagery. They are not that accurate and a "clean up" is necessary, plus, they trace "every" line!

I've had Streamliner for almost 17 years which does this. My sign and graphics program does this also. My graphics program costs $3,000.00.

The upgrade is $1,000.00. I won't spend the money for it. Won't help anything I'm already doing.

The Vector line is everything!
    Last edited by Avaiojet; 07-06-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    sorry for the mis-information.Autocad as such, accepts vector images,and yet...it accepts jpg's.from that I assumed it was a vector.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Have you looked in your local phone book or Googled your area?
    I work in a metropolitan area of under 200k people.
    I have talked to 2 I found by accident that can do it and plan on talking to a third I found.
    Just because they don't advertise to the RC community doesn't mean they won't do it?

Good Luck,
    KW_Counter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    There seems to be some misunderstanding about graphic formats. There are two categories of computer graphics. One is vector, the other bit mapped/raster. Vector graphics are mathematical descriptions of the image elements. This includes file formats from CAD and Vector graphics applications such as DXF, DWG, STL CRW and many others. The other is raster, which is used by paint and photo editing software and includes formats such as tif, bmp, jpg, gif, and many others where the image is made up of pixel descriptions.

To cut parts with a laser cutter, the machine uses some vector format. Some cutters use Corel Draw files, others use Autocad files. Most places should be able to translate the image from one vector format to another, though they will most likely prefer a specific vector format.

If the image is a bitmap, it will need to be converted into a vector. There are trace programs that attempt to do this automatically, but as has been mentioned, the results usually require a lot of re-work to produce a vector good enough to be used for laser cutting. More often, a person will import the bitmap image into the vector application and use it as a guide for re-drawing the image as a vector. Some laser cutters can also etch images from bitmaps, but that is not useful for cutting parts.

There is another option other than laser cutting. You can also cut parts with a CNC router. I cut parts on a small CNC router from Rockler called the CNC Shark. Using a 1/16" or 1/32" router bit, I can cut very accurate parts from balsa, lite ply, aircraft ply, fiberglass sheet and even some limited cutting of aluminum. Again, the file type used is vector. The CNC machine requires a file to be in G-code (used by all types of CNC machines, routers, lathes, mills, plasma...). You use software that imports a vector file, defines the bits being used, the depth and type of cut, and it produces the G-code for the specific CNC machine. The CNC Shark includes Vectric VCarve Pro for this purpose. The CNC router with additional software can also use bitmapped images to create 3d relief cuts of images, but again, not useable for cutting parts. CNC routers can use 3D graphic files for creating 3D cuts too. Advanced CNC routers can extend that capability quite far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5645s.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	2017581
    Here is an example of some CNC cut parts from 1/4" thick balsa.

Scott
    Last edited by saramos; 07-26-2014 at 08:28 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I did a little research in my area and the stores like Office Depot and Stables tell me they scan to a pdf format only, but Kinko's is telling me they can do pdf or dwg for $1.99 a page. I think I will have Kinko's scan a set of plans I am considering having laser cut. One thing I should add Staples and Office Depot were considerably cheaper than Kinko's in the cost of copying the plans. All three charge by the square foot.
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My lazer cutting guy took my dxf file,and cut it.Funny,dwg wasn't useful to him

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by alex5 View Post
    It depends on what software he is using.
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
    ...but Kinko's is telling me they can do pdf or dwg for $1.99 a page.
    I think either you misunderstood them or they misunderstood you as it is not possible to scan something into .dwg format. At least not one that is useable for laser cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by alex5 View Post
    In simple terms the .dwg format is native to AutoCAD while .dxf is a generic CAD file format which is readable by almost any type of CAD software. Apparently your laser guy is using a software other than AutoCAD to operate his machine which is not uncommon.