Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Question Anyone Build one of these "Full Tilt Boogies" from Wendell Hostetler Plans?

Looking to talk with anyone who has built, building or have Plans to build a Full Tilt Boogie from Wendel Hostetler Plans. Please let me know as I am looking for information on the build.
    Thanks
    Gregg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Been to chicken but will happily watch your build. I love Bipes but that thing looks to be more of a hot rod than I can handle.
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Understood but someone has or is got to building one. Hopefully they will find this request and chime in.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Not building just yet. I got a set of plans and ordered the kit through National Balsa for Christmas. I will be ordering CF for the wings (per plan), canopy and cowl soon. Haven't found the wheel pants available anywhere yet but still digging. If all else fails, I'll probably scratch out a set.

I found that most of the links to people/addresses on the plans are dead ends. Likes Line still has the gear legs but from I gather, they are probably just like the plans show...not shock absorbing. Spoke with a composites-knowledgeable man at the AMA Expo this month about the issue where the gear was putting too much stress on the LE of the wings. He suggested using a different material for the solid basswood plates the gear mount to (as per plans) which I'm going to look into.

A 3w-78 twin (thanks Pete) will be making the noise on mine. It's a cool plane that's been on my radar for many, many years.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Resolute,
    For what its worth I have been searching for well over a year now and have come up with nothing, even posted a want add figuring someone was lucky enough to buy the pants when they were making them but just didn't get around to building the plane. I spoke with Wendell several times and he is quoted as saying there is nobody making them and he had no plans at that time to find someone to make them based on the fact that the sales for these plans have dropped off from what they were many years ago and interest changes, so....
    I also thought about the scratch building route as well but I have a set of "Mini" Boogie plans that he sold at one time that I bought at Toledo and really its just a shrunkin down copy of the original plan and I didn't feel like there were enough views to recreate their profile from these plans, don't know maybe I'm missing something but I use CAD everyday and I just don't see enough info to recreate from the 2 views I see. Please stay in touch and let me know what you find or do. I did contact the folks at Likes Line and they said they had just mailed out a set of gear last month and they were supposed to find out where they went to as I wanted to possibly get in touch with this person to discuss what they are doing about this situation (unless they were fortunate enough to get a set). I was leaning towards a DA-70 twin in mine but I'm not starting the dive until I have all the parts or a solid plan. The last thing I want is to not be able to complete the thing.
    Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Gregg,

I understand your feelings about making heads or tails of the plans. Initially, I sat and scratched my head for a bit but it starts to come together. A couple things that helped me was to look at other threads about Mr Hostetler's plans and transfer it over to these plans. Also, buying the kit via National Balsa helped put parts where they should go. I can't say it's going to be the easiest build but nothing worthwhile ever is for me. I has my attention.

I take it that if you're planning to use a DA-70 twin, you have both sizes of plans. You mentioned the Mini Boogie so I wasn't 100% clear which one you are leaning to build. If you plan on building the original size, I'll gladly collaborate with you on this and share what I come up with.

Got an email from Hank Likes and he said he had a set of the large gear. That was in December. Must've been the ones you wrote about.

You'll find out that I tend to go take the road less traveled at times so I'm leaning to make a set of shock absorbing gear for this.

Looks like we're in the same boat here. I will stay in touch...you do the same.

Greg
    Last edited by Resolute1; 02-04-2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: correction

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have the small set of plans but really wanted and have the chance to buy a full set BUT its the Pants thing that is keeping me from making the move. I have another project that I will and can use the DA on so that is why I'm on a fence post with the Mong project. But I would like to see what your progress is though. Yea, I bet that was the same gear at Likes, I just emailed him a friendly reminder to see if he had a chance to run down who and where they were sent to. Maybe if another person like yourself dropped Wendell an email he would see there is more of us out here wanting these Pants. Very disheartening not to be able to buy all the hardware needed to complete a set of Plans that are still available though.
    Keep me posted on your progress.

Gregg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Will do that and let you know what I find.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    So far, the pants are still elusive. I hope to have better news by the end of the month. Will keep you posted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    For what its worth, I did hear back from Likes and they supplied me with the last guy that bought a set of main gear for one of these last month and he says he is willing to talk. I am not ready just yet for that stage of game but if you wanted to call him I can email or pm you with his number. I requested a email contact but this is what Likes gave me, are you interested in contacting him?
    Let me know.
    Thanks for the update.
    Gregg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to make my own gear at this point but thank you for your offer. Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Update: There will be wheel pants made available later this year!

I'd like to personally and publicly send out a HUGE thank you to Wendell Hostetler for going to those great lengths to set this up for us. The fact is that he didn't have to and yet, he did. That speaks volumes.

Time to clear the bench.

Greg