Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wing joiner sleeves

I'm using 1" dia aluminum tubes to join removeable wings on a large WW-1 Junkers (my own design). Question is, do I need to provide fiberglass, or other material, sleeves in the wings? The ribs at the joiner area are lite ply and the holes will be close fitting to the tubes. The top and bottom spars and ply webs will completely box in the tubes. I guess I'm not sure what strength benefit some thin sleeves will have.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yes you will need some sort of sleeve to accomplish this. TNT supplies wing tubes and sleeve of all sizes. Gator R/C used to as well, but I'm not sure if they are still around.
    zx32tt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The sleeves are just a guide to aid assembly at the field. Without them it would be a major pain to get the wings on as you will have to find each hole in the ribs. TnT do have phenolic sleeves that work well or you can make some by wrapping some wetted out fiberglass around your wing tube that has been waxed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks, pretty much what I thought. Guess I should redesign the rib holes to clear the addition of a sleeve.
    Karl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by edokarlb View Post
    I'm using 1" dia aluminum tubes to join removeable wings on a large WW-1 Junkers (my own design). .
    Karl.......what a coincidence that I stumbled onto this thread........I have been toying with the idea of a Junkers, too. Would like to hear more about your project and maybe some pictures, too.
    Cheers,
    Art

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Art,
    I'm working on a Junkers J-1 with the upper wingspan of about 10'. Doing the design using CAD. It's a challenging project. Body is partially framed and am now starting to figure out the two wings. I'll see what I can send if you're interested.
    Karl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I was considering the CL-1 (monoplane).......something for a second plane at an event that would be quicker to put together and take apart whenever bad weather came calling. I wouldn't have room for another biplane.

But its fun to watch someone else build - there's always something to learn......have you considered doing a build thread?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Since it took me almost a year to get this far along, I don't think too many people will have the patience to follow it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Junkers_JI.jpg
    heres a link to the J-1. Not pretty, but interesting. I guess I like weird planes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by edokarlb View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Junkers_JI.jpg
    heres a link to the J-1. Not pretty, but interesting. I guess I like weird planes.
    I hear ya.......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well, I decided to make up some fiber glass sleeves.
    First, I polished the aluminum tube with a very fine sandpaper. I then coated it with a furniture wax.
    Then I tightly wrapped the tube with 2 layers of waxed paper and held the end in place with a few pieces of scotch tape. The wax paper gives enough clearance to slide the finished sleeve on an off.
    The wax paper was lightly coated with the resin before laying on the fiberglass cloth. I used 2 wraps of fiberglass.
    I continued to apply resin to the cloth as it was wrapped on. Brush on enough to fill all the weaves. I also used an old credit card (or old hotel key card) to smooth and work in the resin.
    Put the wet sleeve and tube aside in a warm place to cure. After a day I was able to work the sleeve off the tube. The wax paper was pushed out of the sleeve using a large diameter wood dowel. It feels strong and light.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	1965975