Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Looking For CNC Mill Work or Ideas

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Looking For CNC Mill Work or Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 04:44 PM
dneisler
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For CNC Mill Work or Ideas

Hello everyone, I have been a avid RC'er for years now, but got burnt out and started a new job and hobby. I worked as a aerospace machinist for a while and now do small CNC Mill work from my home. I am looking for ideas for R/C related products to be made, weather it be one off for a customer, and for resale. If you have any ideas or needs please let me know.

Currently I am designing a 40 size aluminum mount that fits the LA and others.

MOD: If this is the wrong forum, I apologize.

Last edited by dneisler; 01-05-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:33 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the Futaba dimensioned drawing to come up with my own for a fixture for one of their servos. It is drawn in AutoCAD that I converted to .jpg for RCU’s requirement. Is this the kind of thing you are talking about? Dan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FUTABAS9202fixture.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	1954706  
Old 01-05-2014, 06:04 PM
dneisler
My Feedback: (7)

Yeah I can/could make custom servo brackets as you mention. Just looking for ideas that people may need or want.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:52 PM
balsa brain

dneisler, you may want to post this in the Engine Conversion forum. There are people that post in there from time to time looking for someone to do work for them.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:29 PM
oldbassard

I am sort of new to electric RC airplanes but, I do know of a problem that does exist for some as it did for me. I found a cure for my problem (I think) But here's what it is. Electric motors have a shaft that on some models will extend a certain amount and sometimes not enough. I did buy a couple of motor shaft extensions for mine BUT, the further you extend the propeller from the motor the more multiplied out of balance the prop is, will affect the bearings in the motor. I have thought of something that's not available that might help. But I think input from other members here would be of great benefit..

A carrier bearing mounted in a three or four prong bracket that would fit behind a cowl. I think sealed wheel bearings from RC cars would be a good bearing. The carrier is what would take the work. Some people would like to use dummy radial engines in their cowls or space an electric motor to the rear from a cowl such as a P-40 or P-51 or P-38. On my Cessna T-50, I have the option of leaving the dummy radials off, leaving the center of the engine block out, or figuring out a way to space the out runner back from it so it can get adequate air for cooling.

Just a thought
Old 01-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

You should post this question in the RC Jets forum. They may have a need due for retract and other systems for heavy jets
Old 01-06-2014, 04:17 PM
oldbassard

I wonder if some people who like attachments such as missiles, bombs and drop fuel tanks might want to custom order them
Old 01-06-2014, 04:18 PM
AwwNaww

There is a real need for innovative retracts. There is some dearth of rotating retracts that stand up to abuse. I suspect that it might be possible to design a hub for variable pitch props that might generate some interest. I would like to buy a little finger lever that would stick/screw to the side of my transmitter so I could grip it between middle and ring finger and not feel like I am about to drop the rig in the middle of a snap roll. There might be interest in a simple brake that could be applied to most wheels. We lost the vendor that was selling a variable stab incidence mounting system for pattern ships with plug-in stabs.....heck one for the wing might sell as well. You aren't into amateur astronomy by chance? There is a real need there. Keep in mind that the best way to make a million off home machine work is to start with two million.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Scale Specialties

Do you have any photos of your work? I may have some work I need done.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:12 PM
tjmarch

The following Link is to a download package that I made up for the programs and method I use to create gcode for the Donek drag knife to cut Redi-Board for making RC model airplanes. If you are hobbyist on a low budget it is worth the look. It is a zip file, in Windows 7 after you download the file right click on the file and choose to extract. All the software that is included is free to use no strings attached.http://ubuntuone.com/41QpyBkkTxyKiMY5ImKYWz