Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Will aluminum fuselage interfere with electronics

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Will aluminum fuselage interfere with electronics

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Kentli22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flitemetal, everything I know about the effect of RF was learnt from this thread, if for me to answer your question of why all the flite metal planes don't have problem, I would say it is because all the fuselages have plenty of openings for the radio signal to travel through, and perhaps all the planes were flying within their safe range.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:59 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

come on either one or the other this page can't be right or Trixie can't be right it clearly show's that inside or outside of the fuse same results .. that directily condericts trixies whole stance in this thread ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ok.PNG
Views:	149
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	1984077  
Old 04-04-2014, 02:06 PM
zacharyR

Originally Posted by dirtybird
Anytime anyone on these forums says it worked and therefore it should always work, he simply knows nothing about statistical analysis.
Its the ultimate statement of arrogant ignorance.
It only says it worked under these conditions at this time.
Now we all know someone that flew an aluminum aircraft and got away with it.
So is there a test that will assure me that my aluminum airplane will survive?
Here is one that will make you feel better.
Obtain a radio that telemeters the received strength and logs it. It should also allow you to reduce the transmitted strength to save walking all over the county. A Fr-Sky Taranis will do this, maybe the Jedi will do it also . I dont know though as I dont have a Jedi.
Set the AC on a table at least 3' high and reduce the tx power. Walk out until the signal strength is below threshold with vertical polarization. Repeat with horizontal polarization.
With the Tx held to the polarization that produces the lowest received signal level, walk 360 degrees around the AC maintaining the distance.
Tilt the AC 10 degrees and repeat. Repeat this test for every 10 degrees of the aircraft horizontal attitude. (360 times)(X axis)
Repeat this test for every 10 degrees of vertical attitude(Y axis)
Examine your log, If the received signal stays above the threshold 90% of the time I would say you are safe to fly
this is wrong doing here , look how far out of reailty the so called experts are talking . they are stating facts that just can't be true . only can be true in there ego .. and what do I get I'm the one getting called out as I'm arrogant and ingnorant , srsly ? and the mods positioning themelfs aginst me just because I want to stand up agin'st Bull****

at the end of the day it feels like either I'm lieing or Trixie is lieing .. flite metal paints things to not look so good for Trixie it paints things that metal fuse's don't affect raido gear any more or any less then any other fuse .. and that was my frist post in this thread.. that was the frist thing to get Pooped on..

Last edited by zacharyR; 04-04-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:28 PM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed,

It is the folks that see black and white and go to the store to bring home some black "instead" of white that I posted within this site.
That's no different than saying all squares are rectangles but all rectangles are not squares. We have an R/C community that has
little to no experience in a decision matrix with raw material much less off the shelf items to use for an explicit purpose.

My customers are who usually converse relative to capabilities and differentials compared to gutter tape and
other types of off the shelf aluminum foils/tapes. What permits to achieve its intended purpose is exactly why
it has shown itself to be more than usually cohabitatable with R/F. Ironically, its intended purpose is prevention of cross talk between
circuit boad bays... go figure! ! !

There are those who offer for sale...plans and parts to build an all aluminum model airplane. While that is AOK, I believe if it were my
model I would most definately place each SS 2.4 antenna inside a hollow coffee stir stick and point it down and at right angles to the
bottom surface of the aluminum model.

Jerry Nelson designed and sold all aluminum model designs. Jerry would probably be the first in line to encourage everyone to follow
their radio manufacfturer's recommendations. I concur with this point of view and hope when this is all said and done with its prideful
points of view hidden amidst opinion vs. established convention or tests to arrive upon an honest answer.

Zach, these times they are a'changing. With the wind to your back there are greater chances of a stall than otherwise. Lets all agree
to head back into the wind so its an uplifting experience for all.

Regards,

Ed

Last edited by FliteMetal; 04-04-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:23 PM
All Day Dan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now we’re getting somewhere. All the recommendations are to follow your manufacturer’s installation instructions. That should close this discussion. According to my Futaba manual, the antennas should be kept one half an inch away from any conductive material. How do you do that when they are surrounded by the stuff? Even hanging out in the breeze they are compromised. Hey Futaba, are you sure you’re right? Dan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CCF04042014_00000.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	1984143  
Old 04-05-2014, 05:36 AM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This has been a fascinating thread! I fly WW1 models and a lot of these type planes had various metal panels and some even had the whole of the front of the plane covered in metal. Add to that the presence of many flying and landing wires.......there has been various interference problems over the years.

I have always wondered how much this metal covering interfered with RF vs. how much the various flying and landing wires interfered with RF..........

I have learned a lot from this thread. I am very much satisfied that the amount of metal covering on a model has less practical influence than does any loose connections or attachments of either the covering metal material or the installation of the flying wires. Metal to metal connections when vibrated cause RF signals to be generated and that is more of a problem than how much metal is actually installed on a model. (from my experience and the info derived from this thread)

So I will not worry so much about the metal cowl or metal sheeting all over my model, but rather that they are firmly attached and not vibrating.

And the same goes for my flying and landing wires.

Thank you........all who have contributed to this thread.......it has been beneficial (at least to me). FYI, I have been flying RC since 1975, so even an "old dog" can still learn.

Cheers,
Art
Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thread is locked and posts have been deleted since apparently folks can't avoid taking things personally.

It's too bad too since this is a great topic. The good news is that both extremes and the middle ground have been covered. But now it's come down to bickering.