Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Sig Epoxolite replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Sig Epoxolite replacement

For anyone that has used Sig Epoxolite, the product has been discontinued. I don't know how long it has been gone, but when I was in need of replenishment, I found this out.

After searching the internet and trying a few different sources, I have discovered a suitable replacement.The product is called "P.C.Woody." It is a 2-part, wood-based epoxy filler. It has the same weight and density as Epoxolite but is a little lighter in color; pretty close to a match to balsa wood. It mixes at the same ratio and adheres the same. The only place I have found it is through the Home Depot via special order.

I like to put filets on all the 90 degree surfaces on my planes and with this product, I can continue to do so. Hope this helps any other builders out there.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Micro balloons or micro Spheres mixed with Z Poxy Finishing Resin (PT40). You can mix it runny or stiff as peanut butter. Spread it or form it with a tool or a wet finger.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Lifer

Like I said, Sig Epoxolite replacement.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said. The Z Poxy /Microballoons mixture replaces premixed over priced products like Epoxolite. I use it as a filler for dings and dents, for fairings, contouring and gap filling. I'm sure you'll hear from other that use the same.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mix my own Epoxolite replacement. I use either 5-minute or 30-minute epoxy and brown micro-balloons. You can make it as light as you prefer. Mix the micro-ballons with each part of epoxy separately. Then mix the amount of each part of putty that you need. The more parts mirco-balloons to parts of epoxy the lighter and easier to sand it becomes. Last time I mixed some I had so much micro-balloons that the mixture was lighter than balsa but still very strong.

This is the exact same thing as Epoxolite was except you can make it as light as you light and control the set up time by using 5-minute, 30-minute or 1 hour epoxy.

Ralph White
Old 03-06-2014, 06:53 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

I learned long time ago to use finishing resin with micro balloons. It sets hard and sands so much easier than epoxy glue. have not used epoxolite since.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Ralph White

Terry, Are you using epoxy or polyester finishing resin? The reason I have been using regular epoxy is so I can have it set up in 5 or 30 minutes. I'm sure you are correct in that the finishing resin mixture will sand better. I'll give finishing a try next time.
Ralph
Old 03-07-2014, 03:30 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Finishing Resin, Z-poxy.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Lifer

There are a lot of modelers that used Epoxolite for years. I'm sure most of them are aware of microballoons and epoxy, but I started this thread to explain that there is now an alternative. If you want to start a microballoons/epoxy thread, feel free to do so. My goal was to inform and help others.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Ralph White

Thanks Terry for the reply.
Ralph
Old 03-10-2014, 08:26 AM
R_G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifer
There are a lot of modelers that used Epoxolite for years. I'm sure most of them are aware of microballoons and epoxy, but I started this thread to explain that there is now an alternative. If you want to start a microballoons/epoxy thread, feel free to do so. My goal was to inform and help others.
Much appreciated! I've used quite a bit of Epoxolite in the past and it's nice to see there's a substitute available.

Ralph
Old 03-12-2014, 11:19 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I used epoxolite for years until I tried microballoons/epoxy. I couldn't believe how much easier it was to use and incredibly easier to sand while still being more than strong enough for the application.

carl
Old 09-28-2015, 01:00 PM
lds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P C Woody a Sig Epoxolite replacement

Originally Posted by Lifer
For anyone that has used Sig Epoxolite, the product has been discontinued. I don't know how long it has been gone, but when I was in need of replenishment, I found this out.

After searching the internet and trying a few different sources, I have discovered a suitable replacement.The product is called "P.C.Woody." It is a 2-part, wood-based epoxy filler. It has the same weight and density as Epoxolite but is a little lighter in color; pretty close to a match to balsa wood. It mixes at the same ratio and adheres the same. The only place I have found it is through the Home Depot via special order.

I like to put filets on all the 90 degree surfaces on my planes and with this product, I can continue to do so. Hope this helps any other builders out there.

Bought some, used it, works great. Thanks for the tip.

Larry