Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Methanol fuel Proof Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:29 AM
cjtyped
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Methanol fuel Proof Paint?

Is t here any brand of spray paint that is methanol fuel proof that an be bought at a Lowes/Home Depot? I am especially interested in White. Thank You in advance.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:52 AM
RCPAUL

Rustoleum
Old 08-20-2014, 12:34 AM
ALO 111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rustoleum for sure ,they make an applience white epoxy super stuff
Old 08-27-2014, 09:41 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I know that Rustoleum is gasoline resistant. But is it glow fuel resistant as well? Because that's what he's asking instead of simply "methanol proof".

The only product other than butyrate dope, epoxy and a few of the two part clear coats used for automotive finishing I've heard of is Flecto brand oil based Varathane varnish. For low nitro content fuels up to 10 to 15% it does very well. The nice thing is that it can be used as a clear fuel proof top coat over non fuel resistant colour paints.

With strong nitro contents of 25% and higher it does get a little dull looking around the engine if it sits on the finish for too long. But it still protects.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:35 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rustoleum in fuel proof. I've used it as a finish for years. The models still look good. Like all paint finishes it pays to keep them clean and also to apply a coat of wax fairly often. I know that R/C guys don't go for high maintenance but it pays dividend to do the work in the long run.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:15 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you use Rustoleum, you must let it cure for a good amount of time; at least a week or two--more is better--for it to be reasonably fuel proof.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:18 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read that the best Rustoleum for our use is the stuff marked for use against rust.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:14 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I followed BUSA's recommendation to finish my Stick 40+ with Rustoleum. It had a few weeks to cure before I ran up an engine on it. During the course of the season the paint directly down stream from the exhaust turned to goo. Does anyone know what it actually is? I suspect they change the formula from time to time, or for different colors or types, and you really have no idea what you are getting. Might work sometimes, might not other times. It's a real pain if the surface of your hand built airplane turns to a sticky mess. I would never trust it again. Jim
Old 08-30-2014, 11:40 AM
RCPAUL

Not all Rustoleum paints are fuel proof. Only the ones that say "Fights Rust". The basic colors.

paul
Old 08-30-2014, 03:47 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Paul has said correctly only the basic rust covering paints are fuel proof. All of the specialty paints and the gloss clear are not. You can also use exorust paints in the basic colors from ACE as they are also made by Rustoleum for ACE