Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

That Electric Rotarywing

Old 08-20-2014, 03:57 PM
charlie111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That Electric Rotarywing

Getting around to Covering Wings & Mounting Motors.About 6 ft. Wingspan on Rotor 3 ft. 7 inches each side actually! With a Typhoon 2W-23 motor on each side.Hope to Finish Soon?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (6).JPG
Views:	188
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	2024104  
Old 08-20-2014, 04:05 PM
charlie111

Had to Dumpster Dive for Some of the Balsa Wood Guillows?
Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 PM
ByLoudDesign

Interesting!!
Old 09-10-2014, 08:29 AM
charlie111

Thanks for the Support ! Hope to see an E.V. as a Cockpit & Power supply Someday? See Hiller (Jet tip) rotor blades.My Larger Wings instead of Blades don't Need Jet tips.Electric motors & props. Turn it Fine! It is a Great lifter! I'm sure it could lift a Small E.V. No Problem.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:34 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Moved from Aerodynamics to Scratch Building since this is clearly a build log and not an aerodynamics thread.

Have you got the right motors for your project yet?
Old 09-11-2014, 04:31 PM
charlie111

I have those 2 Typhoon Motors 2W-23 Don't have any Info. on them No Paperwork in Boxes?Going to Run 2 Battery's.1 for Each motor.But, Brush less I'll have to Run 4 wires up to Hub.I made a thin Drum and put copper bands around it.I'd like to find a Auto steering wheel with as Many contacts as Possible? In case I put the e.s.c.s in Fuselage? They don't way much & I can Put them next to motors in the Wing! If I put them in the Body I need to run 6 wires threw Hub. Looking for Large scale Helicopter complete Hub and collective (All) But servos? Unless I need Bigger servos? 2nd Build should be Much Better.Changing Direction of Rotation was a Major Issue.I Now run stock rotation on both wing motors.Had to counter 1 side to get correct Air flows.Problem (Solved)!6 ft. by 11 inch Rotary wingspan Old School Balsa with Aero. silk May overlay Mono coat?Still Very Light! I'm going to Lift a (Brick) on Video with this one!!

Name:	photo (6) (1).JPG
Views:	101
ID:	2031246  
Old 09-12-2014, 04:49 AM
charlie111

Breaker,Breaker BMathews Do you Have any Suggestions? Iron Eagle Suggested those Motors for My Project! Going to the Bank Today to get Funds to Finish This.Just Finished Paying off 3.800. Need about 1.500 to complete this the Right Way.1st prototype had Homemade G gimbal from large r/c/Car front Wheel with contacts on (Rim)! Going to have Collective to see How it Auto rotates. Military version had Control surfaces Above Rotor Hub. Nice set up But, Not Affordable!Hiller had a Tail Fin Which seemed to work Very Good ! Mine Work Mine on Sides could provide some Lift in Forward Flight.It would Not be a High Speed Aircraft. Is there a Site in your Forums for Used Helicopter parts? I'm going to Use Helicopter Hub this Time! Thanks for the Support! These Typhoons are not Small motors They are a Full inch in Diameter by 13/4 long?

Views:	76
ID:	2031305  

Last edited by charlie111; 09-12-2014 at 05:02 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 09-13-2014, 09:48 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't have any ideas for you that we didn't exchange in your past threads. The big issue is the current having to pass through the slip rings and contacts. There's just not really a good way to do that. The GOOD news is that since they are continuous rings and not segmented like on a brushed motor you can use multiple carbon brushes for each slip ring to aid in lowering the resistance.

Another option would be to strap the battery packs to the vertical shaft and put the shaft bearings low in the body/fuselage. That way the packs rotate with the blades. And by making the packs mount vertically and in close to the shaft you avoid a lot of inertial moment effect.

You'd still need slip rings for power. But now the power would be only down to the Rx and fuselage mounted servos that can live with some brush resistance instead of the motor power up to the ESC's and motors.

Keep in mind that the ESC's for brushless motors do not handle LONG leads to the motors. The inductance of the long wire runs and capacitive effects between the wires can confuse the ESC's which need accurate current to voltage relationships available at the ESC leads to determine the exact switching points so the motors run well. So you only need the power wires and signal lead to run the length of the blades. The ESC's should be out with the motors.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:48 PM
charlie111

That's how I did the 1st 2 Bands Pos. And Neg Threw Carbon Brushes. With Variable resistor In Body with Battery.Had to Make Tubes for cylindrical Carbon Brushes.The only Hobby shop around Didn't carry Speed controls of any Kind? So I had to use a Resistor with arm to servo! I can at least reduce the amount of Brushes .By putting the e.s.c.s in the Wing next to Motor.Like I said I had to Wrap the Rim with Copper Bands.This time I'll use a Car Steering Wheel contacts.Some Cars Have Many contacts at Steering wheel? Cruise,Radio stations,Volume? I'll have to Look and see which car has the Most.It will be easier than Making it from scratch! The carbon brushes & contacts are Matched to a Rings! I'm Glad I changed Direction! Not sure about counter rotating a Brush less motor.I'm sure I mentioned the Air flow Issue.I now use (Stock) Motor rotation & props. on both sides.Both pull Air in and Over Wing.I'll keep the Leads short by putting the e.s.c.s next to the Motors!Good chatting with you.I will keep you posted on My Progress Thanks for All you support! I appreciate it !
Old 09-13-2014, 07:33 PM
charlie111

If the Steering wheel has enough Brushes I'll Double them up.But, they are made to handle 12 volts & more amps. so I should be Ok using those? I'm sure it would be a Neater job.If I can adapt those contacts Having Main Rotor Shaft go threw the middle where the Column was! I'll send photo's of Progress soon.I can't do it.Not that Good with Computers or Cell phones.Like I said .I'm from the Ambroid,Balsa,Dope,control line Generation.At 15 I had a Ring Master,Shoe String,Nobler & a couple of Flying Wings. I did do R/C for a yr. I'm 61 Now so it's been a While When I got into r/c bought a couple from the Want add for Starters and Wound up Getting an A.R.F Soprano from Fukes. Liberty Tree Mall I think? Was a Member of the 107 Flyers club for a couple of yrs.So much for my Life story ! Thanks again for the Advise!! Just Wish I could Run to the Hobby shop.There are no Shops around anymore? I'll let you Know how that Loan goes.Maybe with about 1000.00 I can Finish this Project? With Some real parts? I can use my Twin brothers credit card But, I'll have to Back it up! with some funds. If you have any connections for used Helicopter parts ? I could use the Whole Main Rotor assembly I have servos. But they might not be the right size for what I get ? New I think it's about 130.00 But, it looked like it was just the Rotor Hub for 2 Blade system?
Old 09-14-2014, 02:32 PM
charlie111

Just letting you know.I'm going to the Bank Tuesday.Need about 1000.00 to Finish this the Right way & Not another Jig Rigging ! Been to Busy to Work on it.I Wrap Pipes & A/C curbs ounce in a while to make a Few extra Donaro's! Just keeping up with Bills You Know! When I turned it on I Noticed that Air flow Issue (Turning Outward) Don't know Why I just did 1 side? Looking at the Old wing Now.I see I should have changed Motor rotation & Prop & Both sides.To get the Flow I was Looking for! Well that was then (Never Liked) having to counter rotate anything! That being said. I know I gonna need some serious Funds to do this.Using a Real Helicopter Hub,Gimbal,Collective. Even if I set it and Leave it? R.P.M.s are the only lift Factor (More Climb Less Desend) Oh and I'm going to get an exacto knife So I don't have to cut Covering for wings with the Utility Knife I've been using! I think I told you about the only Hobby Shop around (No Electronics) at all Besides Futaba Radio and servos Kit.They just might have One ? Not going to take up any of YourTime.I'll let you Know when something Earth Breaking Happens !!
Old 09-14-2014, 04:35 PM
charlie111

Thinking about those contacts.I could mount Each Battery on the Under side of each wing? Or Make a Cavity in the Wing But, Wing is only 1 inch at Thick ? Space Between Ribs 4 inches Between 1st & 2nd. Rib! Eliminating the Need for those contacts? A Pair of the Same Battery's should not Throw Balance off!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:28 PM
charlie111

Couldn't make the Bank? I'm supposed to be Retired with a Neck Injury But, I have to do a Few Jobs Here and There to Make ends Meet! Thought you might want to hear this? I'm not going to write every day But you seem Like a Fairly Smart Guy.I took the Valve cover off of a Bob Cat today to take the Head bolts out (Motor was (Seized)!! I saw a Small freeze plug. Sitting under the Rocker shaft? With an Open Hole next to it!! Then I pulled the Drain Plug and about 10 gallons of Antifreeze came out! I Pulled the Head and Every Cylinder was Full of Oil! I guess it had to go Somewhere? I rocked it back and forth Being care full not to Break a Ring! It freed right up.I think it's going to be an Easy Fix I'll put a New Freeze plug in.That should do it! I've been a Mechanic since the 60s. But, worked on Model Ts too! I'm going to try and make it tomorow? While the Owner chases some parts down Head Gasket.It wasn't Bad But, why not change it? It's cheap enough. Well, Like I said Before I'll let you Know when I have the Funds to Finish the Project.I Know it would be a Good Uav Even if it can't carry an E.V. Regular singl or 2 seat planes aren't that comfortable. I've put in about 200 hrs in Low & High wing Aircraft I soloed but Never could afford that Cross Country! BFN
Old 09-16-2014, 07:42 AM
charlie111

I was just going to Say. With your connections. You could get the Parts you Need! Just put Battery's in each Wing Near the Center Between 1 and 2 ribs. Just might offset Motor weight some? Cut Ribs so they can Slide Over a Blade with Hole in Wing & Blade for a Pin to hold it on? I have No Shop and No Parts and That is a Set Back! Really Need Real Helicopter Controls at Hub!

Views:	73
ID:	2032477  
Old 09-17-2014, 05:48 PM
charlie111

Believe Me I won't Write again Until I get it together $$ Wise? But had to mention the you tube video of Bells 1st prototypes ! Even the Slower Rotating version had 0 Dihedral ? I think it would have Helped with the Slower rotating Prop driven version (Electric) with chord! Later Bye
Old 09-19-2014, 05:05 PM
charlie111

Battery's in Wings Near center Only 3 contacts needed.From Receiver to E.S.C.s Before Split! E.S.C.s Next to Motors!

Last edited by charlie111; 09-19-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Didn't mention something?
Old 09-23-2014, 06:12 AM
charlie111

Did I say from receiver to Motors? I meant from Receiver to E.S.C.s Before Split!
Old 10-01-2014, 04:20 PM
charlie111

Being in the Hobby as much as you are.I was Wondering if you knew anyone that might have the parts I need? I really need a Gimbal with swash plate Sorry for the Terminology. I'm really not a Helicopter person? But, I want to have pitch control.I need Mounting Plate or Bracket & Linkage to servos & servos If I can't use My Airplane type? I have a 4 channel Futaba Set up with servos!No Paper work with motors But they are Typhoon 2W-23 They seem Pretty Beefy? I'll have to check and see about which e.s.c. I should use?Just thought I would Ask about some Used Parts and Wondering what Scale Hub & servos I should use?

Views:	79
ID:	2036602  
Old 11-02-2014, 03:33 AM
charlie111

I can't believe it? Just got a Credit card to Buy parts on Line with Pay Pal! But it got activated about 3 or 4 hrs. to Late When I went to Buy those used parts I needed! They were Gone Sold 3 Gimbals Rotor Hubs& Heads Everything I needed Large scale too?$26.00 for everything! Depressed isn't the Word! I'm really Sick over it? I've got My fingers crossed While Praying that I find them again? Hope it Helps!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:41 AM
charlie111

Got Metal Helicopter Head Today servos Next.? Can't afford to change motors @ this point Going to have to Run with them?
Old 01-17-2015, 06:34 PM
charlie111

I put a Video on You Tube Showing How Brushes for E.S.C.s can be Set Up Similar to a Car Horn But with Linkage!! only 5/8" Between Guide Bar & Linkage But enough Room for 3 Rings that will be attached to C.D. Cut to size! Just have to Make Brush Holder & Put Mixing Levers on.Next video It will be (Lifting) Something?

Name:	150117_004.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	2064796  
Old 02-05-2015, 03:29 PM
charlie111

Check out Conversion for Motorized Tail rotor Helis. on You Tube! Now anyone can Bolt on a Wing with Motor to Blade Had to Abandon Spring with Brush & Sleeve for a Cleaner Tension Band from Old Brush Plane Motors from 1st. Build Check out You Tube & Twitter rotate1953

Name:	150205_002.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	2070765  
Old 02-09-2015, 02:41 PM
charlie111

I think anyone could Bolt a Pair of these Self propelled Wings on to a Pair of Blades with these contacts to (T) from Receiver! See Twitter for a Lot of Pics. on Build I would have put Bigger Motors on If I could have afforded Them But, the Typhoons with 10x6 Should be OK for Now with 2200 Batteries for each in Wings (Nice Fit) & Balances Right @ Chord Line with Motor Flush with Leading edge Prop about 1" from leading edge Getting tired Many Nights waiting for Glue to Dry! Filing Sanding & Scratching My Head? Batteries fit Like the wing was made for them between 1 & 2 Ribs! Wing is actually from a Crashed Piper Cub I came across?

Name:	150204_001 (1).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	2071871