Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Kadet JR Changeling ODO

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 07:29 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome aboard David
Yeah I remember about that work thing before going on disability.
Seems I am just as busy now.
Dang I was hoping to get some work done on it today. Just to much life in the way.

I do want to finish this project sometime late next month. Really want to fly my jr. again
Old 04-17-2015, 07:32 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd really like to see that thing fly! And speaking of flying, we'll see you at the field tomorrow!
Old 04-17-2015, 07:51 PM
flyingagin

Yep Will be there.
Alarm set for 5:30. It is a 2 hour drive. Charging the 700 ma Life battery now at 3c

Ken
Old 04-17-2015, 08:38 PM
Pork Chop
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingagin
I go to Sac about once a month to shop at the commissary. Stock up on meat.
Used to fly @ SAM before going to Texas. Going to have to fly there again sometime.

Ken
Do you stop at R/C Country when you visit Sac?
Old 04-17-2015, 09:04 PM
flyingagin

You bet I do. Not much in the way of good hobby shops here.
Last months trip netted the 1/16 sheeting for the wings.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:19 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Dang! Today is their swap meet! Ken, maybe you should have visited Sac instead.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:41 PM
flyingagin

Now now David. The poor shall not visit swap meets.
Besides, The wife and I had way to much enjoyment while there.
the bird I brought was a no go due to warped wing.
Wife and I both decided my building desk is off and not salvageable. I do not have room for a hollow core door at the moment. But I do have a fix for the problem. So really glad I have not started the wings for Odo. I fix the warped building surface problem and the get the wings built.
We took a side trip on the way home. We will do that at the drop of a pin. So the thought accured to me while driving, just get this jr back in the air. It has many hours on it. And is a known straight bird. I will get the wing out of storage. I have to put a radio in the plane no matter what and an engine up front.

In the mean time make the rest of the joiners, and pockets.

I think I found a sweet spot to float fly on the way home. So Odo will get a new set of floats. I had to sacrifice the original floats when we moved from Texas.
But that will be a after the flight of this JR as Odo, both wings and then I will build the new floats

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2062.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2090094  
Old 04-19-2015, 07:59 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Oh, you've got me really curious now, where could that sweet spot be? Hmmm...

By the way, it was a great pleasure meeting you yesterday and to be able to help you fly again! We about flew the tank dry on the 4-Star, there wasn't much left. I'm looking forward to seeing the both of you at the concert tonight!

Take care,
David
Old 04-19-2015, 08:36 AM
flyingagin

Same here and looking forward to tonight. Will give ya a phone call later

A little off shoot of Turlock lake. Dog friendly. Heck there were horses wading in the water. Really low. Might wade across the where we were. Just to tease a bit These pics were shot at a small pond in Iowa

My ST .34 is not presently in a plane, although it is slated to go in a CL bi-plane that is waiting for me to finish (not to we have our own roof). It has been in the JR before. Not really any faster (stayed with same pitch prop) but boy the climb was a real hoot. Just do not punch the throttle at low speeds. The torque will really induce some roll.

I have to fab or buy new main lading gear as I used the wire mains in another plane and had to do a little rebinding.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1022.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2090158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1026.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2090159  
Old 04-20-2015, 11:36 AM
Pork Chop
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by Cub Flyer Fresno
Dang! Today is their swap meet! Ken, maybe you should have visited Sac instead.
I didn't go I went flying instead, the field was empty on a picture perfect day thanks to the swap meet!
Old 04-20-2015, 11:49 AM
flyingagin

A near empty field is the best for flying
I am no longer working so weekdays will be my days of choice. Also a lake with only me or maybe one other flyer would be great. Both an RC and CL form the beach to fly. Fly some, swim some burn some food, drink some soda and tea. Throw a hook or 2 in the water. Could it get any better?

Ken
Old 04-20-2015, 03:58 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe a bit better if I were also fed plump, juicy grapes by a fetching blonde, about 20 or so??...

(sounds like a coronary in the making to me - LOLOLOLOLOL)
Old 04-20-2015, 04:04 PM
flyingagin

You don't want that! You would just have a massive heart attack and that would be that!
Old 04-23-2015, 11:33 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

You don't want that! You would just have a massive heart attack and that would be that!
But the mortician would never get the smile off his face!
Old 04-23-2015, 12:01 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Geez, you guys are terrible.
Dave, shouldn't it be a redhead? You know what they say about blondes........................................... .
Old 04-23-2015, 12:22 PM
flyingagin

Both
Old 04-23-2015, 01:05 PM
flyingagin

Built a new wing for an plane (last month) and it turned HARD left. I had a chance to fly with David (AKA Cub Flyer Fresno). So my build surface is truly off even though I have shimmed and tried to check for true. I do not consider the surface salvageable. It is an old oak computer desk I built maybe 30 years ago. But It has donner parts (drawers).
Once moved then a couple of hollow core doors with a small gap between them. And then epoxy side joiners to the pair to make a torsion box, but in this case a triple torsion box, and then float that on end stations. Then build, build, build.
Will pick up some more maple in a few days and then more 1/16 sheet for the second wing.
In the meantime when I have some free time I will work on the joiner pockets.
I have been super busy and then just tuckered out the last couple of weeks. It is about to get even busier real soon. Got to get a CA drivers license and the re register the car here. Then in between all of that hunt for our own roof in real earnest. I think we can get our own place next month.
Basically a place sorta of close to my mother but hopefully still some distance. Don't care much what it is. Just need a place to work.

In the meantime I am going through my stash of old servos to put in Odo. I cannibalized the JR for other planes. I will have to make or buy new mains. The originals were re bent for another plane.

Ken
Old 04-23-2015, 11:05 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Then in between all of that hunt for our own roof in real earnest. I think we can get our own place next month.
Basically a place sorta of close to my mother but hopefully still some distance. Don't care much what it is. Just need a place to work.
Keeping you in my thoughts and wishes for this.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:52 PM
flyingagin

I need a new and TRUE building surface before make wings. With that in mind and know that the old desk I was using could never provide that I took a look in Home Depot for some aluminum or steel c channel. Aluminum is way $$$$$$, steel only some better. Then in another section I found some steel that is pretty much a c channel, Used for sign post I believe. $17 for a 8 foot piece. I need 12 foot to build a new build surface. I will look again to see if it comes in 4 foot sections, easier to fit in car. Then I can bolt the 2 x4 foot piece of MDF I have on top of the desk to the steel. 2 length wise and 2 across the ends. And that should make a pseudo torsion box, add a piece of MDF to the other side with plenty of bolts and that should make a true surface that I can fit in my limited space.

Yeah a hollow core door would be better. But space dictates,

I will hold off on the build surface till we move. But I sure have been brain storming it.

We have been looking at places within a 60 mile radius.
Hoping to be under our own roof next month.

My wife is very conscious of my building space requirements. If I end up in a second bedroom or a garage, it will get a recliner in it for her to be with me while I build. Her suggestion.

If I can free up some time I am going to at least make the ribs for the symmetrical wing. And some more flat bottomed ribs. The flat bottom wing is going to be a stock 48". But with plug in wing tips and joiner boxes at the end for extra plug in panels. I am going to make a pair of 12" panels with fixed spade joiners to plug into the stock legnth wing panels. Also a pair of 6" panels to plug into either the stock length panels or into the ends of the 12" panels.
So what we are looking at is a standard 48" wing span. A 60" wing span, a 72" span or as much as 84" span.
Each of the extra plug in panels (6" and 12") will have ailerons the plug into the main section. So full span strip ailerons no matter what wing span I choose for the flight. No extra servos needed. just plug in a lock the added panels on.

I don't need no stinking build surface to make ribs.

I am going to need more 1/16 sheeting, lots more sheeting.

I have had a busy week with appointment to look at rentals and with California DMV. The good news, actually the really great news was that the car (from Texas) passed Ca smog with flying colors. Back to MV tomorrow to register it. In the morning I have to go to my wife's doctors office to lean on them for the handicap paper work for handicap plates.

So It seems I have been going 90 mph and no work on Odo. But I have brain stormed out some problems.
So since the car registration (Texas expires tomorrow, that took #1 priority, followed be finding us a roof. We have been semi homeless now for over a year with only temporary roofs. We want a roof.

Ken
Old 04-30-2015, 07:07 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Take your time and get life sorted out first. In the mean time, plan it out good! And, in less than a month we'll be at Castle, you may be able to find some good bargains to help you out with Odo! I for one can't wait, saving up some dough now.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:23 PM
flyingagin

"Saving up some dough"? What you planning on bread? Sorry it was a stretch but I just had to do it.
Yeah hoping to maybe pick up another engine. I would like a bigger engine in my SR.

Hey please remind me of it before. So much crap on the brain, I some times wonder what my name is

Jim uhh no Tom mmmm
oh yeah Ken!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:38 PM
EJWash1

Old 04-30-2015, 08:39 PM
EJWash1

Originally Posted by Cub Flyer Fresno
And, in less than a month we'll be at Castle, you may be able to find some good bargains to help you out with Odo!
Is Castle a swap meet? What dates?
Old 05-01-2015, 05:42 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

It's actually called "IMAA West Coast Festival Giant Scale Fly In". It's not necessarily a swapmeet, but you'll find all kinds of stuff for sale! It takes place over Memorial Day Weekend, Thursday through Sunday to be exact, Saturday probably being the biggest day. Check this Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/CastleGiantScaleFlyIn

Are you interested in coming down to check it out? Got an RV? Make your reservations now, there may still be enough room. Oh, and if you're part of the Cub Brotherhood and bought a T-Shirt from Cub Man, wear it, you'll be easy to spot in the crowd.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:46 AM
EJWash1

Memorial Day weekend? I'm gonna have to pass on the fly-in. Gonna be down in San Diego. Big goings-on on the Midway.

I took a look at the Facebook page. Looks like a lot of fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.