Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Kadet JR Changeling ODO

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 11:54 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

It would have been a real pleasure to have the chance to meet you E.J.
San Diego was my old stomping grounds for about 13 years. Used to fly at the First Weed Wacker Aero Squadron R/C club.

Rode 3 different ships during my time there.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:11 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In and out of North Island several times. Never stayed for very long.

Looking forward to hooking=up with you guys someday as well!
Old 05-01-2015, 07:26 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an Uncle that was station/lived in San Diego for quite a few years. We used to travel there quite a bit when I was a kid. Very fond memories, Balboa park, Old Town, Coronado and visiting the Hotel Del Coronado... Hmmm... can I go with you?

I like to meet you in person as well! Ken and I will have a good time. So remember Ken, start saving some bread right now!
Old 05-01-2015, 07:54 PM
flyingagin

Yeah I'll save my left over pinches of dough

Hey E.J. there is one really great hobby shop in San Diego. Near Hwy 52 I think, south of Miramar. Danged if I can remember the name though

Really hope to get back to San Diego for an extended stay.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:57 PM
EJWash1

I really like San Diego. I have a bit of aviation history there. Balboa Park was the first aviation museum I'd ever visited. That was so long ago, they've added a few airplanes (same model, not the same serial number) that I've flown since my visit!

My long, three-leg cross-county was Van Nuys (VNY) to Lindbergh (SAN) back in '76. North Island. When the wife and I were considering our move, San Diego was discussed - for about thirty-seconds. Unless I all-of-a-suddon adapt to condo living, no way to afford it. And that AIN'T gonna happen in this lifetime!

Ken, is your metal building board too small to frame-up Odo's wing panels?
Old 05-01-2015, 10:03 PM
flyingagin

I have not yet built it. But it will be. 48" x 24"
The post were I talked about it, I had just scouted options and parts. I built a similar board in the 90's in S.D. have no idea what happened to it. A million moves since then.
Basically a steel frame of C channel with MDF on both sides. Then I can lay my metal board on top of it.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:26 PM
EJWash1

Interesting that you bring-up MDF. It definitely has its place, in the proper applications.

In preparation of our move from Arizona to the Pacific Northwest, I sold several of my woodworking machines. My intent was twofold. One, I had wanted to upgrade some of the machinery due to their age, and step-up to machinery that was for the more serious woodworker. Second, why pay moving expenses for machinery/tools that I wanted to replace anyway? To haul everything up here, and then try to sell it, made no sense to me. And, luckily, to my wife as well!

One of the woodworking machines I sold before our move was a Craftsman radial arm saw that I bought back in the early '80s. It made several moves with me around the country. The tabletop of this saw was 1" MDF. I take good care of all of my tools (keeps them safe to operate) and that thirty-something year old tabletop was just as flat as when I bought the saw. An example of a positive of MDF.

You saw the torsion box I built for my magnetic building board system. That box is made entirely from 1/2" MDF. Although, my goal was to have a large, free-standing work surface. Since you'll be placing your building board on top of another surface, you really don't need a torsion box, although, the surface you do place your MDF building board on top of will need to be flat and square. MDF will conform to its underlayment, unless shimmed.

A 24" X 48" building surface is not very large. A 24" span of MDF will not succumb to sagging to its underlayment, but a 48" span, over time, will. And yes, this size board will be affected by torsional (twist) pressure. While your idea of steel c-channel is a good one, it would still be subject to twist, unless the frames were welded at the corners, and the frame verified flat.

If I were given the same building situation as you are in space-wise, FWIW, I'd approach the situation the following way.

One piece of 3/4" MDF, finished to 24" X 48". A 24" X 48" sheet of steel (thickness depending on availability and cost). Bond the sheet metal to the MDF with contact cement. Place the MDF/sheet metal building board on top of a level surface, shim corners as necessary. Later, if you want the building board to support itself, you can always add a frame (steel, or wood) later.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:46 PM
flyingagin

I had to part with my big band saw and radial arm saw when we left Iowa, for Texas. We left California in '09 and spent about 6 months in Iowa. Then the last 5 in Texas.
My radial arm was a 10" and I had to replace the bed once. I think it was actually 1 1/4" MDF. A divorce and may moves, the bed did not fair well.
After I married my (now) bride while we were in Sacramento, I made steel (all welded up pieces) framed work bench and set the saw in it. Multi position fences on both sides of thew saw. Sure do miss it and the work bench.

Just not at all sure what I will be able to do shop wise after we move out of my mom's. Wife say if it gets down to it and no place else the work in the living room with a mobile tool cart to roll outside.

I will say this she is very determined I have some place to work and on true surfaces. (She wants me to build us a 1/3 scale Pitts Like Roberts little on).

We are headed out now to look at a place. One thing we did not expect, is that every body that has a place to show wants $30 or $40 each adult to even think about you and no refund if they don't approve you, Well after over a year of being homeless I just not to sure how good those credit checks are going to be. It has take all of that time plus to get the fiances to come in and be stable.
Going on disability is no easy game, at least it was not for me (was for the wife as a stroke did to much damage for anything else). In fact my lawyer said they would to to starve me into working instead. 3 surgeries and now all the meds I take swayed the decision.

But we are in prayer and so are many others.
So I am kind of holding off on some building for a little bit.

Ken
Old 05-03-2015, 08:54 PM
EJWash1

Understood. As we've often said to others, you get to it, when you get to it.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:57 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

That's right, planes come first, everything else last. Whoops, wait a minute! Reverse that!

You've got a good wife there Ken, she understands the importance of a stress relieving hobby. It helps me to come home from a stressful job and get my mind onto something other than work and the other stresses of life. You have to get your ducks in a row though, so we'll be praying for you too.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:06 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Ken, it is real easy to cut down hollow core doors. Buy the width you want (seconds can be had cheap), place masking tape over where you want to cut and then cut the door. Next peel the skins off the edge block and trim the cardboard filler at the cut end to accept the block. Paint the block with Titebond or any yellow glue and slip it in and clamp over night. Lightly sand the edge if needed and you're done. If its in the budget buy some 1/4" cork and glue to the top side.

Mike
Old 05-04-2015, 07:17 AM
flyingagin

Mike, I knew ya could cut a door down, but never thought you could do it and still have a true door.
You got something there. I will have to try that.
I have built on a door before. In fact the original wing for this jr was built on one. A full length door that I floated on 1/4" by door length and width foam to isolate the door from any surface wobblies of the work work bench.
I just never imagined that a door could be cut down and still be true.
Gotta try that, cheapest easiest ideal yet. Thanks

Ken
Old 05-04-2015, 08:19 AM
FlyerInOKC

I was in the business years ago and cut down hollow core, solid core, and residential steel doors on a regular basis. The big box home centers have slab hollow core doors for about $20 but I would call a local door/lumber company and check if they had a second.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:28 PM
flyingagin

Will Do Mike
Thanks

On the road today
Old 05-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Pork Chop
My Feedback: (5)

He's a picture of the door I cut down to fit on my 6' long workbench. I did it the same way Mike just described and it was easy, it took less then an hour to do!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Door.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	2094421  
Old 05-06-2015, 08:27 PM
flyingagin

Thanks Mike and Alan
I have not yet had the chance to get out and buy a door. Been fixing (replacing) faucets for my mother, one more to go. And then as soon as I replaced the last faucet the water heater started leaking, bad. So yesterday I helped her find one ans set up for a delivery and install. But then she balked at the price. She is 88 and was having the worst day I have seen her have. I lost her in the store and took 20 minutes to find her. Really confused yesterday.

Well this morning she seemed fairly sharp and said to call back and get the install done. They came out and did the job today, After the wife and I did some house hunting. I we both worry about leaving her, But it is clear there is no choice. We are trying to stay with in 20 minutes of mom.

While the plumbers were here I made a test piece for the joiner socket. It will be subjected to a full 24 lbs. Still trying to figure out how to rig it in a fashion that does not bias the test.
The piece consist of 1/8 lite ply as the base (read rib) with a strait piece of 1/8 carbon plate about 3/16 wide epoxied to the ply.

Question is when the heck am I going to get a chance to test this. Seems I have been going non stop for 2 weeks and have only had enough time to glance at my work area on the way out of the garage.

Hope to get out and buy a door in 2 or 3 days. It will fit in my car with the sun roof open

Ken
Old 05-06-2015, 09:06 PM
flyingagin

I am sure hoping you were not near any of that violent weather Mike
Old 05-07-2015, 04:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by flyingagin
I am sure hoping you were not near any of that violent weather Mike
Over 3 inches of rain in just a few hours caused some flooding thru the back door but that was it for me. The really bad stuff stayed south and east of me like it always does. Moore, OK is a magnet for tornadoes. The bad news is the ground is saturated from yesterday and more rain is predicted every day all the way threw Sunday! It will be a busy weekend. My local flying field is a lake this morning and will remain that way for at least a week or more.

Mike
Old 05-07-2015, 07:38 AM
flyingagin

and here we are dying for rain
Old 05-07-2015, 07:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

Believe me if I could send some I would!
Old 05-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Ken, did you get a door yet? If you didn't and if you can wait until Castle, I'll get one for you. My brother bought of bunch of them for his daughter's wedding and he wants to get rid of them.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:25 PM
flyingagin

No I have not. Going 90mph, but not on any building.
Yes I would like a door or so.
Will call ya
Old 11-22-2015, 05:58 PM
flyingagin

It has been a since i have last posted.
i had to move all of my planes. build desk, and planes to storage to protect them. My mother is definitely affected with some sort of Dementia. Pray it ain't the "A" word. And has a self confessed habit of destroying others stuff, I have seen it.
But she is is 88 and physically and mentally to weak to be own her own. So wife and I are staying and doing our best to keep her safe and cared for.
I have been working my hiney off on various projects around here. With that I brought most of my tools back and she made sure there was room by getting rid of other things in the garage.
I put in a sprinkler system for both the front and back yards. Geez I can remember a time when I could have held a full time job and still got the install done in 2 or 3 weeks. Took me 3 months. Should have seen my mothers smile when all she had to do was stand back and watch it.
Finished a water conditioner install 2 days ago. And today I just finished a new cutting board. Told her she could use it tuesday morning after the oil and finnish cured. She can't wait to roll out a pie crust on it.

And I also built a TV antenna from scratch. Even with online sites to do the nasty math, it still took some hard thunking (miss spell deliberate) about. It is really 2 antennas feeding backwards thru a cable splitter into one feed. UHF and VHF thing. I am going to keep improving it starting next month. It works pretty good, but I can do better. And then we terminate the cable tv bill (still need cable for internet). Building an antenna myself has been very satisfying.

So any way about "ODO".
I have not touched any plane stuff at all over summer. Just doing things around the house.
But last night I started a wing panel for ODO. In Bed! Yep in bed.
I dug out my balsa building board and set myself up in bed with the board on my lap on one end and the other on a open dresser drawer. Supplies behind my wife's lab top on her half of the bed and my night stand. Put my lap top on the printer by the TV and watched NetFlix.
I started out wrong but only got one rib glued to a bottom spar. So I pulled it all off and set it up again. Glued the spar to the bottom leading edge sheeting and place the trailing edge sheeting in position.
I got 5 ribs on.
There will be 1/4"square balsa mating to the back of the ribs and aft sheeting. It is all old school with pins and Tightbond II. Can't use super glue near the wife and in such a small space. But hey I am building sort of.

Name:	IMG_20151122_175258383.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	2131993  
Old 11-22-2015, 08:58 PM
flyingagin

And more work tonight
The trailing edge and trailing edge sheeting sheeting top and bottom is added as well as the rest of the ribs. I will have to work a couple of ply ribs in later. They are not yet cut, but I have the patter at home. So yes I did some of it backwards but I hope no big deal. Let the glue dry till tomorrow.
I am finding wood glue with a syringe and pins is satisfying.

Ken

Name:	IMG_20151122_204316491.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	3.40 MB
ID:	2132013  
Old 11-23-2015, 07:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

I hate to burst your bubble Ken but Dementia IS a form of Alzheimer's. And like Alzheimer's it can manifest itself in different ways in different ways. My 92 year old mother in-law has had it for sometime, she's in assisted living but doing OK. She has only wandered away once, her version is a total lack of short term memory. She is docile, no temper issues like my uncle. She gets stuck on these loops and you just have to be patient with her. Now her younger sister had it (she has already passed over), her Dementia was the type where they hallucinate all the time. She would tell you all about her trip to the zoo yesterday and about each animal when she hadn't left her facility for months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.