Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Solid landing gear - suggestions?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Solid landing gear - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 04:40 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Solid landing gear - suggestions?

I am building a large 1/5 scale, Airtractor and am looking for someone who can replicate the solid landing gear for me. They are pretty simple. I have the dimensions and drawings but would like some suggestions on someone or a company who will bend me a set of good quality gear out of strong aluminum. The plane, AUW RTF will be in the neighborhood of 40 pounds. Will be turboprop powered. and the scale tires will be 6.25 inches.
Thanks for the help
Tommy
Old 05-21-2015, 05:08 AM
Russmall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://tntlandinggear.com
Old 05-21-2015, 08:06 AM
ByLoudDesign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Century Jet Models, inc.

Last edited by ByLoudDesign; 05-21-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:46 AM
DocYates

Russ,
That is exactly what I am looking for. And if they can't do it, I will contact Century jet. Thanks guys for the tip.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:03 PM
sierratango

Doc,

Will you posts some pics of the Airtractor. Which model number are you doing?

Are re you scratch building or is it a kit?
Old 05-22-2015, 05:38 AM
DocYates

SierraTango,
I will be posting some pics. The model is a project I took on which has a storied past. The original plane was started a few years ago by Duane Habets, who is well known for his scale models of agriculture aircraft. I think he lives in Montana. Someone contracted him to build them a large scale Airtractor. The plane was built from plans made from factory drawings obtained from the Airtractor factory. I have yet to do the final calculations, but it appears to be about 1:4.5 scale with a wingspan close to 12 feet. Tire size is 6.25 inches, with 4 inch spinner. I am building a AT-802U model, which is the military version of the AT currently being used in the Middle East for border patrol. It can carry up to 4 500 pound bombs or two bombs and a pair of 50 mm guns under the wings. Can loiter over the battlefield for up to 10 hours, and can land on dirt or unimproved strips. This platform should make a beautiful and forgiving base for a model turboprop. I plan to power it with a either the Wren or Kingtech K60 turboprops. I know SM has a five blade prop for the Kingtech, and that would be scale at 24 inch diameter. Again, this is based on projections and a little experience, but looking at the plane and knowing that it will likely require some nose weight I am guessing it should weigh around 45 pounds RTF. There are still a few little bugs to work out but I have most of the things secured, now to just finish it. I ended up with the project when the original guy backed out, and it was sold to a firend in California. I managed to get him to let me take it and finish it. I am hoping to have it complete and ready for next year's competition rounds.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:28 PM
sierratango

Yes, I spoke with Duane about this project back when he was working on it. I have seen these planes up in northern Nevada used for fire fighting when I used to fly my sailplane straight out cross country. Landed at Battle Mountain, NV a few times. The 802s an a P-3 Orion were there.

Congratulations, this should be an awesome plane and at that size if weighted correctly should fly very scale due to the high lift wing.

I am a fan of low and slow.

I am more of a fan of dropping water on fires rather than bombs on people, but humans are certainly over rated based on how we never change and the stuff we keep killing each other over.

Looking forward to to your pictures.

That will be something!