Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

enlargeing plans

Old 02-06-2016, 05:50 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default enlargeing plans

hi
ok heres my problem i have plans for a great plane 40 size supersporter bipe plane that greatplane kitted a long time ago and they are from greatplanes i have a great planes supersporter 60 size kit on hand ,i would like to turn this into the bipe they kitted but is no longer made so i blew up the 40 size plans to 130 % which makes the wing span the same at 61 " for the 60 size kit ,now the new plans ribs dont match the 60 size kit the size is way off ,so i have the rib outline from the kit should i just use the top wing lay out with that rib outline ,it is a swept wing design thanks rye
Old 02-06-2016, 03:47 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I’m not too sure what you need. The airfoil used for the 40 sized model may not be the same as the 60 sized. That’s why you see a difference. Use the rib airfoil that resulted from the enlarged 40 size plans.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:35 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, the bipe wings are a different size than the mono, you might be better off enlarging the 40 mono version,,http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2633

good luck
Old 02-07-2016, 07:58 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi thanks i think i going to build the 60 size kit and use the rib outline from the 60 size and the angle of the top swept wing of the 40 size that i blew up to match the lenght of the 60 size and scatch build the top wing to fit the model, i going to us a 15 or 20 cc gas engine reinforce the fiewall enlarge the tail feathers a little, love to modify build a C G 60 size chipmuck added 6" to the wing and enlarged the tail feathers ,flys even better the stock ,
Old 02-28-2016, 11:17 AM
jamespal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm not surprised the airfoil didn't match. Biplane wings are about 80% as efficent as a similar sized mono plane. I think you have a good plan to build the fuselage and add a second wing. Here are some rules of thumb that I have believed in over the years. Make the wing area of the biplane 20% larger. If the mono plane is 780 Sq inches make the biplane 936-ish square inches. The spacing between the wings should not be any closer than 1.5 times the wing chord. If the spacing starts to look a little odd, shorten the wing chord. Lastly, the upper wing should have 1.5 to 2 degrees positive incidence in comparison to the lower wing.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:23 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The way you are approaching it may work out fine but it will likely not be the same aerodynamically as the .40 size biplane.

I would compare the fuse length of the enlarged plans to the .60 size kit. Unless GP just slapped a top wing on the super sportster, the ratio of the wingspan to fuse length may be different between the monoplane and the biplane. I would enlarge the bipe plans to match the fuse length of the kit. That way, the wings you build will have the proper span and cord for that size biplane fuselage. I would also ensure the kit uses the same fore/aft placement and incidence settings as the biplane plans for the lower wing and the horizontal stab.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:36 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This will help. Dan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DESIGN2.JPG