Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

putting stringer notches in polyline or regions.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:18 AM
alex5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default putting stringer notches in polyline or regions.

I dissected my solid body derived by tracing a plan into cad,then I sliced the solid body at intervals creating regions.Now I have sliced and extruded parts of the regions to create stringers.Is there a way to easily create the notches on the intersecting regions so that I can trace it with polylines? The image shows my stringers intersecting the regions
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	stringers.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	2152943  
Old 03-17-2016, 08:22 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know what CAD program you are using; I work with Vectorworks. In that program I could have both the former and the stringer as solid objects (in 3-D) and do a "subtract objects" routine and subtract the stringer from the former. I would be left with a former with a notch.
Chuck
Old 03-17-2016, 08:58 AM
alex5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I try not to use solids,when trying to get laser files in Acad,as it usually means that there are multiple lines,at different depths through the solid,that I have to eliminate,and flattening doesnt make good choices when doing so.The subtraction as well,produces many lines,that have to be cleaned up.The end result is that I have to create a 2D shape to create the former,with the notch in place....for many formers,and many notches for the stringers,while trying to speed up the process.Making the 3d file is relatively uncomplicated,but getting that elusive 2d file for each former is where the time is consumed.For instance,I will have some 70-ish formers,in this OV10,each with 6-10 stringer notches.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:03 AM
alex5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Normally the laser cutter uses only one planar file to cut it's path,if it detects more than one line,it will repeat the cut,resulting in more time and burning, scorching.Thus ,it is better to have a dxf file without more replicant lines(which occur as the solid may not be perpendicular to the dxf extraction plane).
Old 03-17-2016, 09:46 AM
alex5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here I have taken the 2d stringer profile,and located them on the former profile,then I will modify each former's polyline with the stringer outline,to make a notched former.Very time consumptive.I left visible,a few stringers to show that process.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	stringer notches.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	2152948