Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

We may not be able to this anymore...

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

We may not be able to this anymore...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 05:49 PM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We may not be able to this anymore...

The current version of the FAA reauthorization bill which has left committee contains some very alarming provisions. Among them is a ban on "home brew" sUAS's, which, of course, includes model airplanes and means we will not be able to build aircraft to fly. In addition, manufacturers would have to obtain FAA approval for each make and model they produce. This could very well not only end building airplanes to fly, but could make ALL existing r/c models illegal. I wish this was a joke, paranoia or alarmist, but unfortunately, it is not. If this passes as is, we can kiss our hobby goodbye.

Personally, building is 50%+ of the hobby and I have 15-20 aircraft I built from kits or plans. They would pretty much become worthless if this goes through.

Our only hope, it seems, is to contact our Congressmen and try to get model aircraft exempted. That seems an extreme long shot at this point as even if every AMA member does so, that totals only about 190k people - a drop in the bucket for politicians.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngogl.../#289b3a3fa6f2

Here is the part I've referred to:

>[/FONT][/COLOR]
Old 03-22-2016, 09:41 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its all about the drones. Unfortunately, they want to group all flying things in the same category, when it is the multicopter drones that seem to be the only item they are having a problem with.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:48 AM
AwwNaww

I honestly believe that any rational effort would have restricted itself to those air platform that had a video down link or GPS directed control capable of route plotting and execution. Pelosi and Reid are not amateurs in enslavement. Given they helped write the law and sponsored it, I suspect there is some other agenda afoot. I think that the AMA saw an opportunity to augment their membership by 4-10X and stupidly thought they would have some control over the final form of the law and be the official registrar. Clearly, this isn't where this is going. We modelers are of no consideration by the government. I agree that we should write, call, email and such but I don't think that we have any prospect for a positive outcome. I do hope that I am wrong.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:08 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

AwwNaww, you're probably quite right. And, now that many have registered with the FAA, they know exactly where to come to confiscate all the "illegal" home-built planes that are about to be spawned.

And still, those who caused all this trouble in the first place will continue their crap.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:26 PM
AwwNaww

It is a few years ago now but a famous denizen of these forums, from New Zealand, kinda threw us to the dogs. The fellow was quite irascible but also quite knowledgeable. His site had informative reviews on servos, engines and such. I guess he needed his five minutes of fame. He contacted mass media and did a video report on how he could build a "cruise missile weapon of mass destruction" featuring off the shelf turbines, gps and so on. Needless to say, as soon as Obama got into office we had flying field shutdowns in huge areas anytime his palace chose to visit for a fundraiser. The palace truly thinks that they are at risk from these contrivances. They really think we are a threat to them and I doubt that us aero modelers will have a good time of it. I think the AMA was trying to feather their own nest with the drone crap and failed to see where this was going. They were just stooges for the government's data collection. Once the law went into effect, it can be modified with very little notice, much less review, on our part.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:07 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I still haven't figured out how they can enforce some of this stuff. The local cops might if they are bored but their dept budgets are constantly being trimmed and manpower usage becomes a political football from time to time so that won't last. The feds have bigger fish to fry and the FAA will never get funding to remotely come close.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:17 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think these rules are meant to be evenly enforced, I think the main idea is to have enough confusing rules to allow them to drop a huge hammer on the head of anyone anytime they want to...
Old 03-25-2016, 09:27 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by foodstick
I don't think these rules are meant to be evenly enforced, I think the main idea is to have enough confusing rules to allow them to drop a huge hammer on the head of anyone anytime they want to...
That will bring up the legal argument of selective enforcement. Courts are going to have a blast with this one.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:16 PM
AwwNaww

It is clearly, not feasible to enforce the current registration requirement other than using it as a stick when a malefactor is apprehended doing something really stupid. What is feasible, however, is enforcing an outright ban. To do that you just write a bad, unenforceable law (like this mess) and then prove noncompliance. My local park district just banned all drone flying in all parks. No public hearings, no exceptions. You get seen with your kid and a little foamy and the law can have you. Obviously we know the dipwads are not going to register their "drones" and they are not stopping their stupid behavior. As soon as our art got lumped in with "drones" we were in trouble. I sure hope that I am wrong, but I got that sinking feeling.

Last edited by AwwNaww; 03-25-2016 at 03:33 PM.