Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Building Tips and Tricks Sticky

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Building Tips and Tricks Sticky

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 10:00 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Tips and Tricks Sticky

Tried this in the kit building section and in a couple of days got 49 views and no responses. Hoping for better luck here. Pardon the cut and paste but I'm a slow typist!

Just started building my first kit in probably 40 years! Quite a few ARF's but no kits. And after the kit (a Tower Kaos .40), I'd like to scratch build a modified Kaos. I'm surprised there isn't a sticky on this forum to collect useful ideas to encourage others to build rather than assemble.So let me throw down the gauntlet to all of the expert builders here to help those few of us that would like to get away from ARF's.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:09 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you want to know? Dan.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:35 AM
Nitrovein

Here is a good website with loads of useful information.
http://www.airfieldmodels.com/
Old 04-09-2016, 11:06 AM
ron ward

I don't think he's looking for any specific information, he just wants to start a general source type of thread that guys can post ideas and remedies to the varied problems encountered in building.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:24 AM
RC_Fanatic

Well, let me add a couple of tips from a buddy here:
* Leave the bottom of the fuselage open until you get the control rods and the like installed
* Fit the wing to the fuselage first, then align the stab to the wing, then the fin to the stab

Questions:
* When you sand the edges of parts to get rid of rough end grain or to get a good fit, how do you keep from rounding the corners?
* How do you get nice square cuts on the ends of strip stock? A miter box with a saw leaves a rough edge that gets rounded when you sand it; it is hard to get a square cut with a single-edge blade.

Nitrovein, thanks for the link. Looks like some good ideas there.

Ron, you are quite right. I would never have thought to ask about the two examples I give above, but I see how they are important. I know about tight fitting joints but there must be a lot that aren't obvious until someone points them out.

The idea for this came from the Kaos sticky on the Classic pattern forum. Lots of good advice there.

Last edited by RC_Fanatic; 04-09-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:12 PM
ron ward

lots of forums that deal with building and repairing things, have these general tip stickys, I think they are great. I sometimes just read them for ideas and the chance that I find something that I ran in to.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:00 PM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazon has some used Harry Higley books. They are helpful.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:25 PM
RC_Fanatic

Remembered reading "Secrets" decades ago. Found it on ebay for $6. Its on the way.

The yellow cover reminded me of the RCM hints book. I have one somewhere. Got it free as I'd submitted some ideas. That was a long time ago! Time to dig through some more boxes!