Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Twice the Spirit of ST. Louis ?

Old 05-20-2016, 12:29 AM
Tralgo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Twice the Spirit of ST. Louis ?

I Find that I somehow own two Guillo's # 807 Spirit Of St Louis balsa kits .
They are large, 34.5 inch wingspans , and vast amounts of excess overbuilt
formers , 1/2 " edges on the wings , in short two large projects that have a good chance of flying six feet ( if the wind is right) . Ok I'm joking , this isn't a rant
about Guillow's .
I was trying to think of doing something to them , a radical modification .
I first thought since the wing is so straight , maybe I could take sections of one wing and add it to the wing on the other kit. Like a 1929 U2 idea , But that was just not weird enough . The idea that makes the best out of two planes that were almost certain to end up lost or spilled on the attick floor is this.
Why not join them like a double Mustang? It actually starts to seem like it would be an interesting airframe enhanced by the odd features of that plane , like one of those strange sea planes from the same era , It would have a 4 wheel undercarriage ,like a RFC bomber, two windowless engine "pods " , It just seems right.
My Questions are beyond my aerodynamic knowledge , Are the struts in the center wing section too long to make the it the point where they join ( removing the sections outside of the struts) Should the center wing maybe have the struts cross like an x? , Or simply shortened?
I'm thinking that the fuselages would have to be a bit longer also , maybe adding a extra former towards the tails. I don't want a optimum solution , I'm figuring that I will have to overpower the engines in order to keep it at an airspeed that will prevent it from simply plummeting from the sky.
Are there any ideas that someone knows will make or break the whole X St Louis project? Is it even worth contemplating? I am open to any comments.
Tralgo