Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Wing Design Program I'm making

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Wing Design Program I'm making

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 05:43 PM
WilliamsWorkshop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing Design Program I'm making

Hello, I recently started a project that would model a wing and output its airfoils as a csv file.

I wanted a program like this to make creating wings in CAD programs like Solidworks and Inventor easier. As of right now the program can only draw the wing using variables like wing sweep, dihedral/anhedral angle, wingspan, etc and draw the airfoil using the NACA 4-series equations.

In the future I plan on adding the ability to twist the wing, change airfoils at different points and eventually add different NACA series (This is what I'll be working on next). I'll add a way to do some analysis on both the airfoil and perhaps the wing, though it would probably be better to create the wing in CAD then use CFD analysis. I will create an actual GUI for the program (write now I just use the IDE to change variables). After those I can begin to think of new features.

Feedback is welcome!

Showcases some of the different wings it can make.
Album of some screenshots - Https://imgur.com/a/nsODq
Old 06-06-2016, 06:06 AM
ByLoudDesign

I have used CompuFoil3D for years and love it. It has a foil generator to add foils that are not in the HUGE data base, You can do complicated wing shapes like the Spitfire. Have not stumped it yet and the designer of the program has help me through new designs when I could not figure out what to call up in the HELP program!
Old 06-06-2016, 10:40 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

A noble project and certainly worth pursuing if it is something that interests you. However, as noted above, you are reinventing the wheel as CompuFoil is already available to do the work being discussed.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:41 PM
alex5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend to agree with the others..no point in having to re-learn another program...since wing design is extremely simple,as long as you can output to standard formats.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:19 PM
ByLoudDesign

CompuFoil3D gives you DXF file of the for use to cut ribs [CNC], plan and elevation of the completed design. You can view a 3D image of the design. There are output for foam cutting, but not sure about that aspect of the program. But as great as the rest of it is I would believe it to be more then adequate!!
Old 06-06-2016, 06:18 PM
WilliamsWorkshop

I should have mentioned. This is just a project for me and once its done, others can use it if they wanted. Currently a Mechanical Engineering student looking at going into the Aerospace industry and I have a few years as an avionics technician so I just enjoy stuff like this. Not really meant to compete with other products and I am aware of most of the more common ones. Just wanted to share.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:21 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ByLoudDesign
CompuFoil3D gives you DXF file of the for use to cut ribs [CNC], plan and elevation of the completed design. You can view a 3D image of the design. There are output for foam cutting, but not sure about that aspect of the program. But as great as the rest of it is I would believe it to be more then adequate!!
i want to learn to use this program. Don't know how to start. I have only a glancing understanding of cad. I can draw lines and free hand....that's about all.

i want to design my own wings and stabs for eight laser cutting or cnc foam cutting
thanks
Old 06-06-2016, 07:57 PM
ByLoudDesign

MTK ~ I believe you can download the program and use it for a short period before you have to register it to keep it going. The "Help" instruction are great and the programmer is there to ask.