Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

North American T-6F Texan 62" 1/8 Scale

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

North American T-6F Texan 62" 1/8 Scale

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 01:03 AM
onewonders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North American T-6F Texan 62" 1/8 Scale

This is my first build log for my first build from plans only. I've just started in the hobby, four months ago with a Great Planes Easy Sport 40 Balsa Kit. I had an absolute blast. I started flying RC four weeks ago.
Last year I flew in a full size Harvard, with the pilots from the Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association. After 30 minutes, a Half Cuban and barrel roll I was hooked.
So for my second build I have chosen the Harvard. I know this is a T-6F but close enough. I will finish it in the same colour and number scheme as the plane I flew in.
The plans were downloaded from Aerofred.com, the design is Al Holmes from 1972.
This won't be easy, I will be taking it slow. Besides, it is flying season!
I bought some wood last night, the plans are printed (100% perfect), I have lots of #11 blades and other tools, ready to start cutting.
So I hope you are prepared to answer lots of questions. I will post successes and failures. I learn from failures/mistakes and am not afraid to try.
Oh it is designed for .60cu in or larger but I will electrocute the plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0058.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	2167106   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0065.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	2167107   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0081.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	2167108  
Old 06-30-2016, 08:37 PM
Hawkeye
My Feedback: (27)

I have looked at this plan in the past and it looks really good, although not the most simple build. It is on my long term to-do list. I am subscribing to this and look forward to watching your progress. it looks like it's time to get out that fifth of scotch and start building!!
Old 07-01-2016, 12:47 PM
onewonders

Default Yes a Fifth of Scotch will Help But Only After Glueing!

This plan is challenging. I am hand cutting all of the wood, #11 blade, coping saw, razor saw etc...the only electric tool is the dremel. The cutting is more like carving, cut close to the lines, then shape whether its curves or other angles. Lots of work but I am enjoying this build. Its only my second build, first one from a die-cut kit, and this is just from the plans.
I did notice that the pieces I cut from the plan templates are slightly bigger than the drawing of the pieces in place. I think this is because the plans when printed, the lines become quite large, even though it is a vector pdf. I should have measured the template size to the pieces in place - to determine if I should cut the templates on the outside, inside or in the middle of the lines.
I started with the rudder, then the fin, elevator and stabilizer.
I made quite a few mistakes, having to re-cut R15 3x; I wasn't paying attention to the plans - I cut it wrong the first time and glued it wrong the second time. 3 x was a charm. I give myself a C. I still need to add R4, R5 and R16 add a few other small parts.
The article instructs to lay the spars horizontally then glue the ribs vertically at ninety degrees and to use a triangle. The only triangle I have is plastic. The CA would burn through or at minimum glue the triangle to the wood - gotta keep the weight down! I had cut up an IKEA coffee table in the winter, and my table saw cuts beautiful angles accurately. So I grabbed the wood scrap, placed it on top of the spar, held the rib with one finger and then was able to glue quite accurately. I've included an image of this technique
I have also soaked 20 1/16" pieces of balsa sheet and clamped them all to a mould, this is for the elevator TE.
I haven't finished shaping them yet; I wanted all of them pinned together so I could make the shaping as aerodynamic as possible. Once complete I will move onto the wings.
So this build is challenging, I expect to make quite a few more mistakes, but I will re-cut and start again as I go. I am learning lots.[ATTACH]2170781[/IMG][ATTACH]2170782[/IMG][ATTACH]2170783[/IMG][ATTACH]2170784[/IMG][ATTACH]2170781[/IMG][ATTACH]2170782[/IMG][ATTACH]2170783[/IMG][ATTACH]2170784[/IMG]

Name:	IMG_1527.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	2170781   Click image for larger version

Name:	rudder side view.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2170782   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1534.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	2170783   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1533.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	2170784  
Old 07-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Hawkeye
My Feedback: (27)

Did you say that you have the construction article? If not, I know I have it. Let me know, I'm sure I can find it if you need it. Those pictures that were posted are super huge. You've gotten started, I'll be watching for more updates.
...Steve
Old 07-02-2016, 03:26 PM
onewonders

Cool Silver Lining

Hey Hawkeye, I have the article, and yes the files are huge, the other forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2680562 automatically resizes, so my apologies...
So some progress...
Well I crashed my Easy Sport 40 on Thursday, the crosswind was so strong that it blew my plane out of bounds, so I had to cut the power, nose first into the ground. All seemed well until I flew it today - the wind again was 25kph, but up and down the runway. Tried to land, it was hovering, then stalled and landed flat! The motor fell off! Nothing 5 minute epoxy can't handle!

So the silver lining? There is time to laminate the elevator TE! I had soaked the strips in water and clamped around the mould a few days ago. Now they are completely dry I brushed carpenter's glue to each strip, pressed up against the mould, and clamped it tight.

After 4 hours, it was dry, I removed the clamps, removed the first inside and outside pieces (they weren't glued, they were to protect the other pieces) and voila! The laminate held its form.

So now onto the second elevator TE, then cut, sand and form the laminate to the final shape and glue it to the rest of the elevator.

Then the wings (I've said that before right?)[ATTACH]2170914[/IMG][ATTACH]2170916[/IMG][ATTACH]2170917[/IMG]

Name:	IMG_1536 copy.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	2170914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1535 copy.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	2170916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1537 copy.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	368.4 KB