Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

First foam rib plane design

Old 06-30-2016, 06:45 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default First foam rib plane design

Just thought I would share an almost finished picture of my latest scratch build. I used the foam rib wing method for the first time on this plane. Not sure if it saved any time or weight but did make it easier to cut all the ribs for the double taper wing. The wing is using the Ultrasport airfoil and the fuse is just something I drew up. It has retracts and flaps. It weighs 8.2 lbs with everything except the fuel and cowls. It has two 6 oz fuel tanks and is powered by two ASP .36 engines. I am hoping for a total weight of 8.4 lbs with cowls and just over 9 lb full of fuel. That should put me just over 26 oz/ sq.ft. I have heard that the ultra sport handles the extra weight well so I hope since I am sharing the airfoil, it will fly the same. My thrust line is lower than the ultrasports so that might change the flight characteristics some.

[ATTACH]2170471[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0234.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2170471  
Old 07-03-2016, 08:56 AM
Grantman69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models