Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Good Place To Buy Balsa

Old 01-21-2017, 09:06 AM
ratshooter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Good Place To Buy Balsa

Where are you folks buying Balsa Wood? I used to buy mine from Lone Star Balsa but they are long gone. You use to be able to walk in and pick through the wood and select hard balsa where needed and then the softer "C" cut stuff for ribs and leading edge sheeting that would bend without cracking. I would like to make a larger bulk order and hopefully get free shipping. Any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2017, 10:12 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BUSA. Tell them what you want. You'll get it. Dan.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:57 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

National Balsa has also been good.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:58 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just bought $108.97 from Tower and with coupons I got it to the door for $89.56. The balsa looks pretty good. Medium, lite, hard a little of everything. The bundles come shrink wrapped. wonder if that keeps it from warping?

http://towerhobbies.com/coupon_codes.html

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJC86&P=ML

Buzz.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:39 AM
Dave13579

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just bought from here http://www.nationalbalsa.com/default.asp got everything i needed at one place, material in great shape, at what i thought was a good price.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:33 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used Balsawoodinc.com for my last scratch build. Most of the wood was good, only a sheet or two of the 1/16" got wavy on me. The price was the best I could find on line at the time and they had the 48" sheets I needed for the fuselage. I then ordered some sheets from Tower Hobbies with some coupons and the 3/32" I got from them was very light. The whole bundle looked like it was cut from the same block. But the bundle of 1/16" from tower was pretty hard and heavy (the whole bundle) all cut from the same block. So I guess if you order from Tower, it could be great or not so good depending on your luck. I ended up using an extra sheet from my Balsawoodinc.com order for the side of my Greatplanes US60 build because the stock wood for the fuse sides were so warped and wavy. The Balsawoodinc. sheet was still flat and straight.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:11 PM
BMatthews

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was just reading about a few folks that have been ordering from http://stunthanger.com/hobby/index.p...ced36251db70e5

They were all extremely happy with the wood quality from that source.