Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

C/L to R/C with an I-Beam Type Wing

Old 02-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Bill Diedrich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default C/L to R/C with an I-Beam Type Wing

Contemplating doing a control line to radio control conversion, on a Bill Werwage "Super Ares". Questions that I have are:

(1) Is the I-Beam wing going to be strong enough for the rigors of R/C ?

(2) Should the wing form be altered so that the airfoil is consistent as in modern day pattern plane or leave it with the shape of the existing
flap shape just separate the flap approx. 40% flap 60% aileron or 30% flap 70% aileron ?

(3) The nose will be shortened approx. 2" and the moment between the flaps / ailerons to elevator will be increased by 4" therefore lengthening the plane by only 2".

(4) Widening the fuselage by approx. 25% (1/2" at the widest point) and giving height of the fuselage approx. the same 25% enlargement to keep the overall looks of the fuselage looking the same.

(5) Enlarging the fin / rudder for greater control at approx. what ratio ?

(6) Should I reduce the length of the stab & elevators or leave them as per design ?

All comments and suggestions welcome, Thanks in advance..............

Bill D.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:15 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I relived my youth and did the very same thing with a Barnstormer. I do not have answers for your questions but I do remember the fuselage was enlarged about 10% and the horizontal surfaces were enlarged to 25% of the wing area. The vertical were increased some also. The wing had a foam core and covered with balsa. It flew great. Dan.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Barnstormerthen.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	2200215   Click image for larger version

Name:	BarnstormerRC.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	2200216   Click image for larger version

Name:	barnstormer.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	786.2 KB
ID:	2200217  
Old 02-09-2017, 08:37 PM
BMatthews

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The features that make a good control line stunt model won't translate to an RC pattern model anyway. For starters the wing is too big and long in span to roll as fast as desired with modern patterns. And that wing size won't snap roll well either.

So if you're after that style looking model then I'd say you may as well leave the airfoil alone and go with it. It'll still be a very entertaining model to fly. It just won't be the sort that does a regular modern or classic RC pattern all that well. But when it comes to any PITCHING maneuvers? You would OWN the sky!

You'll likely want to shorten the nose as well. The need for smoothness in the CL pattern forced the models to use a fairly far forward CG and brute force the pitch response with the large surfaces and throw angles. For RC you'd most likely want the CG further back. The takeoffs and landings were also intended to look VERY smooth hence the long tail wheel leg. You might want to trim that down so it sits a touch more nose high.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:10 AM
Bill Diedrich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mr. Mathews what do you think about the I-Beam wing construction? or would it be better too
use a full rib type wing construction or do you think the I-Beam will hold up to R/C use, especially
if I decide to try a sharp cornered square loop!!!

Old 02-16-2017, 12:27 AM
BMatthews

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The wing design is actually perfectly strong enough for any pitching maneuver if you don't end up quite a lot over the weight of the CL versions. Some care is needed in handling if you go with the strip rib construction used on some I beam wings. If you're not careful the cut "strip" ribs can be fairly easily broken if not handled carefully. But that's all ground handling issues. In the air the classic cut strip ribs are just fine.

They sure are pretty designs. There's just something about them.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:57 AM
Bill Diedrich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the reply, I am still in the design conversion planning stages, but hopefully will get this project in the build stage.
in the not to distant future.

Bill D.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:20 PM
BMatthews

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There was an RC conversion to the old classic Nobler that was done first in a magazine article and later as a Top Flite kit release. It made the fuselage a little larger in cross section to hold the bulkier radio gear of the time and also made the fuselage tail a touch longer to better fly as an RC model. I don't recall if it made the wing a touch shorter in span. But then the old Nobler was not as extreme in the wing as some CL stunt designs.

In fact doing a fast search on "rc nobler" turned up a few things worth looking at in connection with your own conversion. Might be worth running the same search and reading some of the articles and looking at the plans from Outerzone.