Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Checking those drwaings before sending them to the cutter. using 2d CAD

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Checking those drwaings before sending them to the cutter. using 2d CAD

Old 02-24-2017, 03:23 PM
oldbassard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking those drwaings before sending them to the cutter. using 2d CAD

It's a little extra work but worth it to check your formers and bulkheads for correct placement before you have them cut. It isn't that time consuming using 2D Cad and works as well as using model (3D).

First draw a side view of your former making a lines at the area the bulkheads and stringers will fitt If the bulkhead is 1/8 wide then make lines along the former 1/8 and be sure they are centered using O snap. Using side views of all you bulkheads you can place them in the right exact spot. After that is done expand the drawing, turn on the O snap and draw a line from the CENTER of each bulkhead where the stringers are going to run. Each straight lines has 3 snaps, while drawing this stringer line make sure you snap to the center one. then minimize your drawing and you will see how your stringers are going to line up.

Last edited by oldbassard; 02-24-2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: left out a word
Old 02-24-2017, 03:38 PM
ByLoudDesign

Can't help you there, as the only 3D work I have done is in SolidWorks 2016 3D. And I still think that you have an easier drawing it in 2D. They use what is called sketch, and it work much different then ACAD regular drawing commands.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:57 AM
alex5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in autocad,it is easy to center the spacing of the formers,just determine the number of formers you want,and the array tool will equally space them,along your line(the fuse bulkhead shape).You can edit the position after.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:57 AM
ByLoudDesign

Where is what I do. First I made a smart block "TAG" it is use to indicate the station number for my grids. On top of my Fuselage Plan reference I am using I draw a center line using the propeller center as a starting point. Draw a vertical center line at the front of the cowl, and array it on the spacing I determine; or if the station spacing's are not uniform I use "OFFSET" to set them where I need them. Insert a TAG at each station where the vertical and horizontal line intersect, change there number to; F1, F2, F3 ....! I then I make a block of it [FGP/FuselageGridPlan], with the insert point "F1". The Top and bottom grids may be different because of LG, Bomb bays or access hatches, so copy the block "EXPLODE" it and make the necessary additions, make the first one as "FGPT, and this one as "FGPB". Make another copy of FGP and place it on the profile reference, explode it stretch the top vertical center line so the extend past the top of the profile. Do the same to the bottom CLs. If there are addition for the bottom add them. If the top station line do not go all the way down to the bottom trim the to just below the need point, same with the bottom Line. Make a block 'FGE". I make separate grids for the V and H Stabs. These can be inserted into the plan or elevation grids if needed by having a "TAG' that references it to these drawing. You only make one grid for each major component and use it where it is needed. If you make more the one you will end up having to make a necessary correction to each one. I make a layer called "REF"; reference. I put the grids on the layer where they are needed and lock it so you can not accidentally move it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Grids.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	2203169  
Old 03-12-2017, 07:43 AM
alex5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the grid as a reference,makes for an easy way to update any info,Charles