Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Second Iron-On Covering Job

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 03:20 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Second Iron-On Covering Job

I copied this plane from a magazine article. I started it a good while back. I just haven't finished it because of tackling the Iron- On covering. It will be my second attempt using this covering. Yesterday started rainy and gloomy and windy and cold. It was a good shop time day. I figured if I don't start, I don't finish. So I started covering. So far so good

i sure don't know how to attach multiple pictures with this new program. I could only attach one at a time from my computer. And each time the second picture deleted the first picture. I'm just trying this new format out like everyone else. Learn as you go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	2211114  

Last edited by ETpilot; 05-13-2017 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-23-2017, 11:07 AM
ETpilot

I got a little bit more done. I put the pieces together to see how they look. Not too bad. The elevators gave me a little hard time. I forgot to allow more pull material when using the heat gun. I'll remember that for my next piece which will be the wing. That one should be fun.

Views:	56
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	2211290  
Old 04-24-2017, 11:57 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Heck of a nice covering job.

carl
Old 04-25-2017, 03:54 AM
ETpilot

Thanks Carl.

I wanted to to start on the wing yesterday. But, when I looked at the wing I saw it needed some work. It needed more sanding and had a few dings from getting moved around over time. I'm not the best at coming up with a paint scheme so I hope what I come up with, looks some what good. I'm mainly after an orientation type scheme. If i have time today I will start cutting the covering.

I do like how the pictures posted are now linked together. I just swipe left or right to move from picture to picture. If I can figure out how to post more than one picture in a post, I'll be happy. I'll have to try posting multiple pictures again.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:38 PM
ETpilot

I found a little time to work on the plane. Took a shot of the bones before starting. Cut part of the covering for top and bottom. Then got started. The wrinkles in the covering will be gone once I do the top side. Once the top is done I'll work the wrinkles out so as not to create any warps in the wing.

One thing I found out about this covering is don't the sticky side touch another part of the sticky side. They stick together quite well. But all is not lost. Just heat with a heat gun while you pull the pieces apart. They come apart quite nicely. The reason I am having this problem is that I don't have a good way to hold the wing while working on it. I may see if I can make a holding fixture for the airplane parts.

Anyway will now try to post 2 pictures here. Well posting 2 picture still does not work for me. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I've seen posts with 2 pictures since the new website program was launched.

Views:	51
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	2211813  
Old 04-25-2017, 03:41 PM
ETpilot

Picture #2

Views:	52
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	2211814  
Old 04-26-2017, 08:30 AM
ETpilot

This project is moving along faster than I had thought. It is a bit nerve racking for me. I work more with the heat gun than the iron. I always worry I may burn thru the covering. So I work with low heat and slowly. This time I got a few wrinkles in the right wing tip. Top side of course. But it will be covered over with trim color so should not be a problem. So far a pleasant experience.

Trying this picture program again. Lol.

Views:	42
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	2211918  
Old 04-26-2017, 08:33 AM
ETpilot

Still no joy with the picture. So one picture at a time.

Views:	41
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	2211919  
Old 04-29-2017, 07:30 AM
ETpilot

Moving along on this covering job, I finally made a mistake. Adding the blue trim to the wing tip I forgot to us the woodpecker to perforate the covering and wood sheeting. This would be a covering on covering and covering on sheeting. As a result I got a few air bubbles and some wrinkles. I also messed up the order which I should have followed for the wing tip area. I believe I should have done the red first then the blue. Anyway I have a few tiny air bubbles n some wrinkles. Still not bad from 5 feet away. Maybe 10 feet. Lol. Overall not looking too bad. I may add small stars to the leading edge and a bigger star at the wingtip.

l have to set this aside for about 2 weeks. Life seems to always interfere. Ailerons and fuselage next.

Views:	41
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	2212281  
Old 04-29-2017, 07:33 AM
ETpilot

I still can't post 2 pictures on a post.

Views:	50
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	2212282  
Old 05-13-2017, 03:07 PM
ETpilot

Well I finished up a 10 day trip to Michigan. I have all my home chores done. So a little time to continue this project. Covering for me is a bit difficult without having a third hand to help. I've been thinking of making something to hold the large parts. I saw something that gave me ideas but I failed to save it. I'm going to work on the ailerons next. So I made this third hand. Will see if it works out. Lots of these ideas in threads and featured in magazines.

Views:	38
Size:	3.90 MB
ID:	2214869  
Old 05-14-2017, 11:02 AM
ETpilot

Well the ailerons are done. Did not come out too bad. Time to move on to the fuselage. I have a bit of work to do on the fuselage before starting the covering. I have the engine out in the open Ugly Stik style. Adding some form of cowling will improve the look. Will work on that this week.

Views:	44
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	2215171  
Old 05-18-2017, 07:12 AM
ETpilot

I added the stars to the wing. I think it looks good. Cutting the stars was a real pain. I have more work to do on the fuselage than I had thought. Working on it now. Lots of hangar rash from all the moving and storage of the fuselage. Have to get filler material. Next main event is to assemble all the parts, add engine and radio gear and get an idea on CG. Then I can permanently mount the servo tray and engine. I, also, still have to come up with an engine cowl. More like an engine enclosure. All going good just time consuming.

Views:	47
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	2215924  
Old 05-21-2017, 09:15 AM
ETpilot

Today I got the opportunity to check for CG. The servo tray is loose on the mounting rails and the engine is taped in place. This give me the ability to move things around to help establish CG. I added 2 oz. just behind the firewall. This will give some weight to play with plus the battery under the fuel tank. So I have a starting point. The plane, as is, weighs in at 5.5 lbs. Now I can permanently mount the servo tray and engine. I can start doing some work on this fuselage.

Views:	39
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	2216203  
Old 06-01-2017, 04:36 PM
ETpilot

I haven't had time to work on this build. I've managed to permanently install the control surfaces and the servos. Since this is a sport airplane I made a foam canopy. First time trying a foam canopy. It came out ok. I measured and cut the ring for the engine cowl. Once the cowl is made I can move a little faster.

Views:	40
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	2218370  
Old 06-01-2017, 04:39 PM
ETpilot

Still only one picture per post for me. This new program is a pain.

Views:	33
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	2218371  
Old 06-06-2017, 04:40 AM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice job. overall your covering looks good i could see the wrinkle area you were talking about in the blue area but still not bad. I think the wings look good. I like the stars as it gives the scheme a little bit of pop without being overdone. do you have an idea what your going to do with the fuselage?
Old 06-06-2017, 04:42 PM
ETpilot

Thanks. Part of the problem with the wing tips is the way I built the tip. Lesson learned, will do it a bit different on the next one. For the fuselage I first have to complete the cowl before I can move on. I have a fuselage design in my head keeping it with the red,white and blue colors. Something simple, not too fancy.

Build time is my problem right now. I had a storm pass thru last week that did some damage. I need to make repairs, first, before I can complete this build. Probably another week or week and a half before I can get back on it. Looking forward to completing this build. So far it looks pretty good.

Last edited by ETpilot; 06-06-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:25 AM
ETpilot

I found a little time to work on the cowl. First picture is a wide front. Second picture is a bit narrower. I like the second with the narrower front so will go with that. I may shave a bit more off the sides. Will know more when glue has dried.

The problem I have posting multiple pictures appears to be with my iPad. Or so I was told. So one picture per post. Will check this out on a computer.

Views:	31
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2219349  
Old 06-09-2017, 05:27 AM
ETpilot

Narrow Front.

Views:	28
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2219352  
Old 06-13-2017, 03:15 PM
ETpilot

I got this cowling made. Not sure I like the curved side on the needle valve side. I may glue on some wood and make it flatter as on the exhaust side. But if not I go with what I have. Next is glue on the fuselage top and fill in dings. Then sand and shape before covering.

Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	2220018  
Old 06-21-2017, 03:09 PM
ETpilot

It has been busy times for me. Not a lot of time to devote to this build. I managed to get some time in on the build. I glued on the fuselage top and filled in many dings that the fuselage had. Still a few more to finish up. The cowl is done. Final sanding and a little shaping to follow. Then maybe I can get started with the covering. I'll be glad to get this plane finished. I have lots of other projects to work on.

Views:	24
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	2221104  
Old 06-22-2017, 05:58 PM
ETpilot

TS Cindy dictated I spend the day in the workshop. So I had time to work on the fuselage. All the dings were fixed with water and the larger ones filled in. i did the sanding and shaping, basically rounding the corners and shaping the cowling. i also had to glue some small pieces where i had cut a bit too much. All it needs is the final sanding with fine sandpaper and a final inspection before covering. I may start that tomorrow as the forecast is for more rain. Time to finish this puppy.

Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	2221237  
Old 06-23-2017, 11:24 AM
ETpilot

I finally got to do some covering. I decided to start on the small pieces. I worked on these 4 pieces. It was tedious work. It seemed like a lot of work for little results. But it got me into the covering mode. The mistakes I made on these, I hope to avoid on the fuselage. The cowling came out ok for me.

Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	2221293  
Old 06-25-2017, 10:48 AM
ETpilot

Well, I have her covered. Hooray!!! When covering a fuselage; DO NOT DROP THE FUSELAGE. In my case it was only a drop of 18". Caused only minor dings which were easily filled in. I did learn a bit covering the fuselage. First, don't use the covering iron like a clothes iron. I was pressing a bit too hard at first. Then later I just let the iron just glide over the covering and it worked much better. Second, as you start to heat the covering you develop ripples or waves in the material. Do not press down on these ripples or waves. You will create wrinkles that are hard to remove. Just glide the iron over the ripples or waves and let the heat do the work. They will disappear in time. I used a 3 temperature process and it worked for me.

Not sure if I like that dorky canopy. I'll have to play with the position on the plane to see how it looks; more forward or more rearward. When I get the tail surfaces installed I will assemble the plane and post a final picture.

Overall I am pleased with the results. Glad it is over so I can move on.

Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	2221532  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.