Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Materials Required

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 12:04 PM
TrafficMinder6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Materials Required

I have started my first "scratch" building project. I received the plans fro the AMA Plans Service. Motor, battery and ESC where on the plans, but noting else. My question is , How do you determine how much of balsa, plywood and other supplies are need to finish the project. I have a limited working space and limited funds, so buyimng in bulk is a little out of the question, Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike Waddell
Old 08-03-2017, 12:55 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No easy way if the plans don't include a bill of materials. Assuming you don't have the equipment and inclination to rip your own sticks and sheets from large balsa lumber, you'll need to measure and record each component on the plans, along with its dimensions and type of material (i.e., Spruce, 12"L, 14"W x1/4"H). When you've got a complete list, you can group by type of wood, and WxH, and start reducing it down where you can to standard lengths (i.e., 36" long for sticks, 3" or 4" wide for balsa sheet stock, 12" x12" or 12 x 24" for ply sheet stock, etc). For example, if you have 2 Spruce at 12"L and 1/4W" x1/4H", then you need to buy 1 36" piece. For wing ribs, you'll have to estimate how many you can fit on a single 3" or 4" x 36" sheet of balsa of the correct thickness.

You should probably plan on about 10% more of each type of wood than you calculate to account for bad pieces, mis-cuts, warpage, etc.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:20 PM
TrafficMinder6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the info. I'll try what you suggested and see how it works out. Thanks again