Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

How to design based on landing and take off distance.

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

How to design based on landing and take off distance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 02:32 PM
VicRoss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How to design based on landing and take off distance.

I'm participating on a competition where we have to design our own aircraft. As a requirement I am given both TO and landing distance. How can I get the designated power to weight ratio, and Wing loading for these parameters.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:07 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Hello!

That will be a fun competition for you. Is SAE and Lockhead sponsoring the event? A couple years ago, I helped some Seniors Engineers from FIU for this type of competition. I flew their plane. Their goal was about the same as your goal. They had to design a plane to be able to lift as much weight as possible off of a 200 foot take off runway and land with in 400 feet. I know, you would think it was the other way around on the runway distances, but some of them couldn't fly very well, so a longer runway to hit. We actually came in 3rd out of 25 colleges lifting 11 lbs. The other limitations were the size of the motor, battery and ECU. I have no idea how to design any of these requirements. I am just a retired pilot and didn't become an engineer first. You will have a LOT of fun. If it is sponsored by Lockhead/SAE, the competition is all about job interviews and learning how to lift bombs off of a short runway. Part of the competition I forgot to mention for the higher class was dropping the payload on a target all by GPS and whatever other factors come into play. Truly a college course for what you are wanting to accomplish. I am sure there are engineers on here that can tell you how to do it. I am just saying it was fun. If you need an r/c pilot in Fl. would be glad to help.