Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Would this design work?

Old 12-15-2017, 11:10 PM
TassieFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would this design work?

Basically, using 2x 5200mah 3S LiPo battery in parallel (10,400 mah total) using either E-Flite Power 15 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 950kV or E-Flite Power 25 BL Outrunner Motor, 870RPM/V to power an 8-blade (number of blades can change) EDF, would that work? I know those engines aren't designed for EDF but would they work and also their flight times?

This aircraft would be completely (except for electronics) be 3D printed including the fan. My aim is to create an EDF (mainly cause they look sleek and sound awesome) that can be used as an FPV platform with a decent flight time. I really would like to get it up to 20+ min, and I know its a big ask but I hope its possible. I'm not after speed.

If anyone has got any ideas, changes or suggestions I would love to hear them. This project is still in the planning stages so it is easy to change stuff. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:51 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know a lot about EDF or 3D printing but I do know EDF fans run at very high RPM. I would be concerned about the integrity of the fan at those high RPMs. IMO, no use reinventing the wheel when it comes to EDF fans. I would just purchase a proven unit to save on much frustration.

Ken
Old 12-16-2017, 07:54 AM
Mms_citrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand, I don't think it would. Motor kv is too low. Battery voltage is too low. Also I believe less blade edf units actually perform better, they just don't sound as good. A 70mm fan would run somewhere around 50k rpm. 90mm I think is mid 30's and a 120 would be down in the 20's. I think. So to run 3s batteries you would need something at least 10k kv. Most edf run 6s or higher. Battery weight is my next question. 3s 5000mah batteries are approx 1lb. 2 lbs batteries, plus motor fan unit servos. 6s will be heavier. What kind of plane are you making. How big. How fast should it fly. What wing design will you use? Lots of stuff you need to work out. I think you have to design a planefor your intended use, and pick a motor system that will work for it. Too many variables right now. Plus as the poster above said. I think your 3D printed unit will 1: not be smooth enough. 2: come apart under rpm.