Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Converting *.PDF files to *.bmp, *.tiff, etc.

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Converting *.PDF files to *.bmp, *.tiff, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 09:52 AM
MarkD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Converting *.PDF files to *.bmp, *.tiff, etc.

After coming back to the hobby after a 15 year absence I have found that there are a vast number of
model plans out on the net. Most of the sites like Outerzone and AeroFred use the *.pdf format.

I need to get the files into an image format so I can vectorize them for CAD work. I have tried about
a half dozen of the freeware conversion programs but am having trouble with a high failure rate. In about
2/3 of the *.pdf files I try to convert the conversion program crashes or just outputs a blank image as the programs
don't seem to be intended for documents as large as a scanned plan. I've been using both a Windows 7 PC and a Windows 10
laptop with the same results.

Could anyone suggest a conversion program/method that is working well for them?

Thanks,

MarkD
Old 07-29-2018, 01:30 PM
ByLoudDesign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BlueBeam REVU 2017 is on cheap but it works with all your other progams to build PDF and will convert the to about any othet format you wish!!
Old 07-29-2018, 05:56 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I can convert them for you Mark if you email me the PDF files. I can be reached at [email protected] if you would like to touch base.

Chad Veich
Old 08-04-2018, 07:55 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GIMP works very well and is completely free.

https://gimp.org

What CAD software are you trying to import the images into?
Old 08-04-2018, 07:02 PM
alex5

The real problem is that many pdf files are simply image files planted on a pdf format document.Therefore you cannot reduce the line widths to make vectors,usually at .0 line width.I would love to find a program that converts a image line to a Single width vector line>the image line whether jpg,tiff,bmp is usually an anti aliased line (shading intensity)of about 5 pixels wide,when you blow it up to size.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:19 AM
Hemikiller

Originally Posted by alex5
The real problem is that many pdf files are simply image files planted on a pdf format document.Therefore you cannot reduce the line widths to make vectors,usually at .0 line width.I would love to find a program that converts a image line to a Single width vector line>the image line whether jpg,tiff,bmp is usually an anti aliased line (shading intensity)of about 5 pixels wide,when you blow it up to size.
Wouldn't we all love that. Given that 99.9% of the plans out there on the web are scans of hand drawn originals, it's the nature of the beast. Only current way to get a good manufacturable part is to redraw in CAD by hand.

IMO, any of the current raster->vector programs are a fool's errand for any sort of CNC cutting. They were never designed to have that level of accuracy, nor will they ever have it. The vector files produced are a complete mess and while perfectly fine for their intended purpose, one spends more time cleaning them up than simply redrawing the parts in CAD. I will redraw parts in CAD and often find errors in the hand drawn parts. Some designers are better than others, but no one was infallible.

Last edited by Hemikiller; 08-05-2018 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:23 AM
alex5

Default inkscape

I was able to extract to dxf using inkscape , but I havent tried it out in acad yet...there is a learning curve.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:09 PM
Hemikiller

If you save the PDF file out as a JPG or Tiff file, most free CAD packages can use it as a background layer so you can trace over it. If you have a vector based PDF, then you might be able to get a fairly decent DXF file out of it. Lots of variables.