Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Help with Bomb Bay Doors

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 10:43 PM
WalterW3828

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Bomb Bay Doors

Hello, I'm new to the world of servos and linkages but am currently working on a project that will likely involve both. I am building a concept of a delivery drone using a mutlicopter and would like to for the package to be released from the bottom of an enclosure with bomb bay styled doors. What I am trying to do, is design the linkage and servo in a way that the doors themselves hold the weight of the package, and when they are opened, the package can slide down. I am having trouble designing this, mainly because I am unsure if a servo can hold the weight of the package without being forced open, allowing the package to fall. The picture shows my current structure idea. I can build or add supports all around the aluminum angle structure to achieve this goal. However, I cannot put anything in the path of the yellow package (except the doors). Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:25 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

So? We help you design something that you hope to profit?
Old 07-24-2019, 06:53 AM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

You should consider the idea of a LATCH on the doors (independent of the operating servo) which would release them to open. Another idea is to look at OVER-CENTER mechanisms which could resist opening during certain parts of the range of motion.On the profit motive, as long as you haven’t stated that you aren’t thinking of a business opportunity, I have no problems with your request for help.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:40 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
So? We help you design something that you hope to profit?

I'm not a fan of these type of threads either. With today's culture here and abroad I really shy away from any post that mentions payload. Especially with a new member. There are sometimes other red flags such as speed and range questions and I really like the ones that have desired specifications in metric units.

Worse case scenario we are helping somone design a weapon, best case scenario we are consulting for free. That being said, I will bend over backwards to help a fellow modeler with his recreational project.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:55 AM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Lighten up. If you don't want to reply, so be it.
Without the profit motive, we would still be flying reed radios and rubber band escapements. There NEVER would be any quads, foamies, 2.4 radios, etc.