Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Building Problem

Old 08-15-2019, 09:46 AM
TrafficMinder6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Question Building Problem

I am building a smasll 3 channel plane called "Old School." I'm using plans I bought from the AMA. My problem is that, I have always been thought to "Measure Twice, Cut Once," I layed my planes out on my workbench and started to trace the the outline of the bottom of the fuselage, two sides and the supports. Checked my traces from the planes, they were good. Cut the pieces from 1/16th balsa, Layed them out over the planes, all looked good. Now the problem. Once those parts were glued together, the rear was to small. No room for control rods to exit, and almost no room for the servos. Ok I made a mistake from where and I started over. This time I used a set of planes and cut the patterns out, glued to the balsa and started over checking as I go, everything seems right, but again same problem, to small. Getting very upset, about to use the plane a a fire starter for my grill.
Can anyone help me with this problem? I'm about to give up and just PNP planes.
Thanks for your time reading this, sorry it took so long, just wanted to make everything clear.

Mike Waddell
Old 08-15-2019, 12:51 PM
BelAirBob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi

Maybe it is my old age but not sure what you are talking about. Can you post a photo or a few so we can visualize the problem

ARFs are fun but is nice to tell someone you actually built the plane so hope you can stick with it

regards
Old 08-17-2019, 08:32 PM
ps2727

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike,
sometimes the plans aren’t perfect, but the nice thing about building from a plan is that you can make changes to suit your tastes. Think about what you need and build in more space! As long as you don’t make drastic changes to the wings and tail your chances for success are heavily in your favor. The only requirement is to share your creation with the rest of us!

Give it a go.....

Paul