Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Want to make a 3 ch plane, 4ch. Need help...

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Want to make a 3 ch plane, 4ch. Need help...

Old 10-13-2003, 12:26 AM
Lonewolf9757
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to make a 3 ch plane, 4ch. Need help...

Hi,

I have a Sig Cadet Sr. that I would like to add alerons to. Is there a formula... say a % of wing area to calculate how big the alerons shoud be ? Any help wpuld be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance,
Tim
[email protected]
Old 10-13-2003, 01:11 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Want to make a 3 ch plane, 4ch. Need help...

For strip ailerons if you make it about 10 to 15% of the wing chord wide you'll be fine. 10 for more trainer like performance and 15 for aerobatic. Conventional tip located ailerons require more chord %. Say 50% span and 20 to 25% chord.

But the big issue that you need to know is that you'll probably find the model has some funny response to aileron control with all that dihedral. You'll probably want to drop it by half anyway if you go for ailerons. Perhaps even to 1/3 of what the plans call for would be better as I understand it's a lot on the original.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:36 AM
smitymax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Want to make a 3 ch plane, 4ch. Need help...

There are several modified Senior Kadets that fly at the field where I fly and they build them with no dihedral and the airlerons are about half the lentgth of the wing and about 3" inches wide. One fellow put flaps inboard of the airlerons about the same size as the airlerons. It all jazzed up the performance but they are still *****cats to fly.