Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

is there a "Beginners CAD" program out there ?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

is there a "Beginners CAD" program out there ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Lonewolf9757
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a "Beginners CAD" program out there ?

Hi,

I am wondering if ther is a CAD program out there that i can use to design my own planes. I have no engenering degree or schooling, just a basic idea of aerodynamic. Is there a program that i can basicly draw a plane and the program will tell me if it will fly of not ? If not, how would i go about getting into designing my own planes ???

Thanks in advance,
Tim
[email protected]
Old 10-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Tamecat

Default RE: is there a "Beginners CAD" program out there ?

I second that request!
Old 10-13-2003, 05:49 PM
DICKEYBIRD

I don't think you'll find too much help in CAD programs for this function. The old ModelCAD came with a utility that allowed you to input your design's vital statistics and the program would give you a "sorta-kinda" idea on how it would fly but it wasn't real shiny.

I hear that the model simulator programs (some of them?) have a function where you can enter your model's statistics and you actually fly the thing around on your monitor. Dunno how sophisticated it is but it sounds promising. Ask one of the sim guys.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:11 PM
mking1

I don’t know of any single or integrated software program that will satisfy all of your requirements but there are methods you can employ to achieve the same thing. I’ll describe the method I use. First, I taught myself to use a computer drafting program. Second, purchased a few books on aerodynamics and model aircraft design.

Which cad program you choose isn’t very important as long as you enjoy using it. I purchased turbocad, design cad and autocad. Each one is relative easy to use but I finally settled on the least expensive program because it fit my idea of something easy to use. Also it was good enough for the simple mechanical design of model aircraft.

The most informative and easy to understand book I purchased was Andy Lennon’s “R/C Model Aircraft Designâ€. It includes easy to understand aerodynamics relative to small scale aircraft and a good design guide for a flying model. You most likely don’t need to purchase another book unless you are like me and want to know more.

Use Andy’s book like a workbook while designing a model, working out all the arithmetic and you soon develop all the necessary mechanical skills and knowledge required to design your own craft. The aerodynamic arithmetic included in his book will tell you approximately how your aircraft will perform.

Other software I regular use: Mathcad and Excel to make the arithmetic easer and with fewer errors and Profili for generating airfoils and to provide specific airfoil data for the aerodynamic calculations. If you don’t have a calculation program such as Mathcad or Excel you can complete the aerodynamic calculations by hand but the airfoil data produced by Profili or a similar program is essential.

I sincerely hope this provides you with the information you asked for.

Miles.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:54 PM
Lonewolf9757
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks guys, as always, very helpful information.

Tim
Old 10-15-2003, 04:51 PM
jester1a
My Feedback: (1)

I hear that the model simulator programs (some of them?) have a function where you can enter your model's statistics and you actually fly the thing around on your monitor. Dunno how sophisticated it is but it sounds promising
We have a guy in our club that swears by realflight G2 to do exactly what you suggest. He says that the only place where it has a problem is on the turf- no rolling resistance so ground loops and nose-over landings don't happen. He uses it to select an engine for whatever plane he is designing.

As to CAD programs, I agree with Mking1- get something and learn it. They're all different but will accomplish just about the same thing in the long run.

Just my thoughts,

JESTER
Old 10-15-2003, 10:12 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

RF G2 has been an excellent tool for me in checking and modifying designs both before and after their construction.

Really works nicely.

Bill.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:28 AM
DomPotvin

Default RE: is there a

I can suggest Allycad, its a free home version 3D cad

You just have to suscribe and they will send you the link, and its completely free ! 
Old 03-13-2011, 04:33 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a relatively inexpensive 3d cad, take a look at Alibre. One drawback is that I have found no third party books or tutorials, but they do sell their own tutorials.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:51 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: DomPotvin

I can suggest Allycad, its a free home version 3D cad

You just have to suscribe and they will send you the link, and its completely free !

Dom, welcome to RCU.

A small point but when you do searches for old threads it pays to read the date on the last response rather than to bring up an 8 year old thread. If you found AlleyCAD to be worth while it would have been worth a "New Post" about it.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:33 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops, I didn't notice the age of the thread either.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:26 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be aware that CAD=Computer AIDED Design, with great amphasis on the AIDED. You need to know design, and drafting before even starting.

Les
Old 03-16-2011, 05:55 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Les brought up a good consideration. Used to be some CADD systems out there on the market. This stood for Computer aided Design and Drafting.

I used to be on the good list. That is until come one sent me a copy of their Flight analysis program. I tried my own A/C and a few others and knew they flew OK, but every thing that one program told me was NO. I sent them a note, and N.R. I sent a magazine an article a bit later on they published it, and the original persons were enraged upon reading it. Why, why, it only works OK with our test model, not every ones. We were still working on everything and.....

There really is no replaement for some grey matter between the ears, and common sense.

Wm.