Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Swing Wing Aileron Function

Old 10-13-2003, 01:22 PM
Kelley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swing Wing Aileron Function

I am considering building my own swing wing concept plane with two stroke prop power, a single tail, ailerons, rudder, and elevator.

When the wings are swept back, do the ailerons continue to function or would independent elevator halfs take over as ailerons? I assume I could mix a computer radio to eliminate any signal to the ailerons when the wings are swept and redirect that function to the elevator halfs. Is this goofy and if so, how is this done properly.

I’ve never considered a swing wing before so be nice. The sketch is kind of what I have in mind.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59663.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	67438  
Old 10-13-2003, 07:26 PM
Tamecat

Default RE: Swing Wing Aileron Function

This winter I'm building a prop driven Tornado with a swing wing. My plane will only use tailerons like the big bird. Flaps and Slats will be on the wing to give additional lift. C of G will be the biggest hurdle to get over. I believe when the wings go back, the plane tends to get nose heavy. Hopefully, if I can get my pictures downloaded, The guys on RCU will give me plenty of ideas to get through the project.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:47 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

If you're using a computer radio, you can program a jackscrew servo like those used for R/C sailboats to move a ballast weight to keep CG where you need it when the wing swings. I would use stabilators and forget the ailerons. A friend and I are working on a high-speed design, and have modeled our concept on RealFlight, and the Stabilators seem to work for it, and they're the ONLY moveable control surfaces on the airframe!
Old 10-13-2003, 08:30 PM
Tamecat

The setup I'm considering was used on a DCU F-14 years ago. All he had was a retract servo with two fiberglass rods connected to the wings. Very simple setup and it worked very well in flight. As for the C of G, I talked with one of the owners from DCU at a pasadena model show, again years ago, he said the way they balanced the plane was to add lead to the LE portion of the wing. He moved the wing back either a 1/4" or 1/2" at a time and rebalanced the plane until it was at full swept. He said no matter where the wing was at, it was always balanced. Simple solutions to complex problems. (By the way, the plane flight was outstanding!)
Old 10-13-2003, 08:33 PM
Tamecat

By the way, how did you download the picture to your post? I tried but none of them posted.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:23 PM
Kelley

Tamecat,

I copied the AutoCAD file as a .jpg and then it posted with no problem.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:26 PM
Tamecat

I did that but my photos never posted even though they were downloaded. What function did you use to get your photo shown?
Old 10-17-2003, 11:21 AM
Tamecat

I finally got the pictures to post. Here is my starting point for the Tornado. This is just the bottom and side. I also have all of the former cut. (Not the formers for the swing wing unit as of yet) This is an interesting project so I'll be opening a post to cover the progress of the plane. Maybe we can share information since we are after the same goal

Name:	Ca80832.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	68238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25137.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	68239  
Old 10-18-2003, 05:52 PM
Tamecat

Did you decide on a swing wing design yet?
Old 10-18-2003, 11:18 PM
Kelley

I tend to study a project to death before I actually do anything. Here is the latest evolution of my design. With a .90 engine this should be a good combination.

Now I am trying to come up with a kit that I can start with. I do not want to scratch build a plane but I don’t mind bashing to heck out of one. So far it seems the GP Patriot is as close as I can come to a starting point but it is much smaller than I want to build. I looked at the GP Tracer but the wing is to wide to look right when it is swept back. I figure the wing mechanism will weigh about the same for any size plane (within reason) so a larger plane will carry the extra weight better.

I’m not in any danger of starting this project until I work out some more details. I still don’t have an answer to my original question. When the wings are in the swept back position should I disengage the ailerons and use the elevator as both aileron and rudder or should the ailerons continue to function when swept back?

Anybody got the answer to that question?

Name:	Ge94659.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	68533  
Old 10-19-2003, 06:51 PM
Tamecat

I remember someone having a switch when engaged by the wing when fully swepted, stopped the aileron servo from functioning. I believe it was in a M.A.N. article years ago. I want to build an F-111 but the swing wing was a giant step for me. I had to learn how to build different planes and learn how things are set up and why it functioned the way it did. Like you, I over analyzed but I made different planes so it wouldn't seem so foeign when I build the F-111. The Tornado I spoke of will have all the things I learned over the years. (Flaps, Retracts, Swing Wing, tailerons but not ducted fan) To keep the project simple, I'm using a prop.

After taking a closer look at your design, I would suggest looking into pattern ships. If you cannot find on, buy a set of plans and make one. The Vulcan, RCM Plan, would make an excellent choice in terms of size and wing area. The wing is swept and made of foam core. The whole project shouldn't cost over $50.00. Now as for the swing wing, I'm still in the design stage. I'm reviewing different setups and trying to decide which is the easiest, lightest and strongest to build. Let me check my files, I might have that article.