Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Kevlar Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 12:47 AM
MicFarlow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kevlar Question

In the June 2002 issue of Model Airplane News, one of the 'Tips and Tricks' was using Kevlar for reinforcement in critical areas. This sounds like a good idea, but I have a few questions.

1) What is best to laminate it with. CA, epoxy or something else?
2) Is sanding it a problem? Since it is stronger than fiberglass, is it also tougher to work with in this regard.
3) What about weight?
4) Has anyone here used it and if so, what are your opinions?

My cousin works at an auto salvage yard and as such, I have free access to as much as I want, so this is an appealing idea. But, by the same token, I don't want to create more work for myself.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions.

Mick
Old 05-01-2002, 01:58 AM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Better living through Dupont™"

I've used Kevlar for reinforcing areas in glass fuselages, and it really helps! I'd like to eventually make an entire fuselage out of it. It's a bit more expensive than regular fiberglass.

I've only used the 2 oz/sq yd Kevlar, but I'm sure other weights would be suitable for certain applications.

You can laminate it like most other fabrics, with epoxy. (Never tried CA) You want to laminate it in such a way that you don't have to sand it. It will fuzz up and is a mess. I added it around the wing joining area, firewall, nose cone, and landing gear mounts on some of my molded fuselages, and it is EXTREMELY tough. It also added a lot of rigidity in those areas, which was ideal.

The weight gain was nominal. Glider builders and jet builders can probably give you some good advice on other uses, such as making your own fuel tanks with it.