Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Any good place whit plans?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 10:05 AM
neo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any good place whit plans?

Hi.

Do you know any good places whit good free plans?
And I would like to know how to save a dxf file to a gif or something like that and still have the plans in scale 1:1, because when I try to export a dxf or dgw from AutoCAD to gif or jpg it saves it in a very small scale.

Marcel
Old 10-20-2003, 10:09 AM
ekrcflyer

Default RE: Any good place whit plans?

Try google search for "free RC plans". I tried it sometime ago and it returned bunch of pages.

Good luck!!!
EK
Old 10-20-2003, 03:01 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

we have some.
www.aerotech-rc.com

Why would you want to convert the file form a DXF to a GIF? I feel a DXF is more 'user freindly' than a gif file.. especially for plotting!
Old 10-20-2003, 03:21 PM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

Neo, try http://plans.rcmodell.hu/ They have a pretty good selection of plans. Some are better than others. As for converting to GIF, honestly I would say DON'T. As far as I know, there is no way to get a dxf or dwg into a raster image file and it still be to scale (unless you are using a plotting system like my company's that converts the plot file to a TIF).
Old 10-21-2003, 01:27 AM
neo

Thanks for the sites.

dr_wogz: because I can't find someone that can plot out plans... and I don't really know how to use AutoCAD...

Marcel
Old 10-21-2003, 02:46 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Neo, have you tried looking for a place that offers professional drawing and printing services to engineers and architects? Surely they would be able to plot out your plans.

And even if you do convert it you would still need to find someone with the same plotter/printer to print the full sized image file so you're no further ahead.

If the drawing you're trying to print is not too big you can print it directly from the CAD program but set it to use the "tile" option and then you tape all the normal sized pages together. And if AutoCAD doesn't have a tile option then it's time to look at the free version of TurboCAD.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:48 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Marcel, does your city have a quick print shop that caters to home office and small businesses? "Kinkos" is the one that comes to mind here in the states. They have a 36" (92 cm) wide digital printer that will print in any length. They supply a file conversion utility (free download) that installs in your Windoze printers folder and outputs from your CAD program to a .kdf (actually a modified .pdf) file. You take in your .kdf file on a floppy or email it to them and they will print it out in a flash. It goes for about $5 to $6 for a 36" x 44" print here in Memphis. Ya can't beat it!
Old 10-21-2003, 06:07 PM
lharvey

Hey Neo,

if you will email me your DXF or DWG file, I will send you a PDF to scale. I spend all day long with AutoCAD, MicroStatioin, PDS Modeling and the like. Not a problem at all.

I would "assume" that any local print shop will and can print out a PDF of your file at full scale. If for some reason you can't find a place to help you print it out, drop me an email and let me see what I can do to help.

Thanks,
Larry
[email protected]
Old 10-21-2003, 09:17 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marcel:

The situation with Autocad and images is that the software tends to lean upon secondary software like Adobe Photoshop. It is not a ready conversion software for going to a GIF or TIF format. I would suggest that you import the DXF format into a graphics software like Micrografx, Corel Draw, and sometimes the Paint program which comes within Windows can be used. You may be able to take the image, then save in that format, and restore in yet another format at the agency within your town. There was another fellow from Sweden who had a similar problem about 9 months ago. I think he went this route.

The below site has files to be downloaded in a few formats.

http://rf-hp.npi.msu.su/~vasya/index.html

Wm.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:22 PM
neo

Thanks for the replies.

lharvey: I have send you two plans of two airplanes.

And CoosBayLumber the side is really good. One other I have found is a Spanish side whit lot of planes. Here is the address: http://www.e-aeromodelismo.com.ar, and go into plans. There is a hole lot of plans... check it out.

Marcel
Old 10-22-2003, 07:31 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is yet another free plan site based in Russia, but I do not have the URL for it. Perhaps another forum reader had it.

Wm.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:58 AM
lharvey

Hey Neo.
Got your email last night. I have sent back 5 PDF files that were developed to scale. You should be able to take the PDF to a local printshop for full sized prints. You can email me any time.

Larry
Old 10-24-2003, 09:04 AM
neo

Thanks for the plans!!!

It would be cheaper to print the plans I USA and ship them whit a submarine or some thing like that...
It cost over 70 dollars to print it on an architect printing place. It kind off expensive.
I will try to find another place that is cheaper...

Marcel