Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Lines, show them or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 09:09 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lines, show them or not ?

I have a question, when cutting from plans, do you cut on the lines, leave them showing ? or cut just to where they are gone from the saw kerf ? sounds picky, but it could affect the fit I would think
Old 10-22-2003, 09:57 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Lines, show them or not ?

You can't make a part larger without glue and more wood and time but you can make it smaller with a quick slick swipe of a sanding block.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:14 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most folks who do plans consider the centre of the line to be the true shape for measurement of the parts, no matter how thick or thin the line to be shows. To trim to the exterior, and then sand to fit is the cautious way to do matters. Also if the part is designed to meet another at an acute angle, then it should have been designed and shown at a very slight oversize. This to take care of tapering the mating edges to ensure strength of joint.

The only exception to the center of lines being to true size is in the civil engineering world where they often measure to the edge of thick lines.

Wm.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:36 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Its' easier to take off than put back on"

With that said, cut up to the line, to allow for 'fine tuning' of the parts..

My vote is the middle of the line for true center. But be consistent. If you decide the outside of the line is your center, apply the rule everywhere!