Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Cadd Symbol Libraries

Old 10-24-2003, 03:38 PM
Gyronut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cadd Symbol Libraries

Hello to all

I use ACAD 2000 and I use it to design model aircraft.
My burning question is where can I find / download symbols used for our hobby, ie: balsa, ply crosshatch patterns etc.

Thanx for your help

Rick Anderson
Old 10-24-2003, 08:23 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cadd Symbol Libraries

I think you are putting too much effort into find the magic bullet, instead of creating just what you want to see. I have done several plans for House of Balsa, and some of the older plans by folks like Gene Wollock had a very nice appearance. The plans were all done by hand, but I had to sit back and find a way to represent the same plan in CAD to about the same exact appearances. I did hand drafting for about ten years before anything like Autocad came along. It was just a matter of walking over to another table in the drafting room to see how another represented the proper appearances. Likewise, you have to take a look at another set of plans, see what you like or looks very nice, and then go ahead and use the basics to represent the texture.

In round figures, I downloaded the SHX/SHP files at CADALOG, losed them up and tried them to see if what they had, I liked. I did not. The wood grains and representations did not look like, nor give the impression that the plans examiner was looking at wood parts. I went back to the old Gene Wollock designs.

In my plans, there are basically just a couple wood treatments. I use a scaled down version of basic AutoCAD SAND.shx for ends to sheet balsa where needed. For a sideview of plywood, I drew up a 2 by 2 square, then drew on a big sideways "Z" and from this created additional parallel lines and a big birdseye in the center. The file is saved as your standard DWG type. I then insert the plywood face file into my sectional views, rotate a bit, scale up or down, then explode and trim to the desired edges. If you go out and buy a H.O.B. kit now, compare the plans which have plywood parts shown, and you should be able to see that the wood pattern is the same file on all the sheets, but altered in one way or another. The endgrain for plywood is simply just two 1/8" parallel lines, then two more lines 1/3rd between. Add a couple of random diagonal lines, and use the ARRAY to set in maybe 200 lines between the 1/3rds, about .025 to .045 inches apart.

For an endgrain of like 3/8" or 1/4" square strips shown in a section, these are just an "L" with a few lines radiating, and a few "C" sections to represent growth rings. Draw it up, save it, then import it into you drawing as the plywood.

Gene also used long squiggly lines for a face to balsa. These are just a few small random polylines that you use the spline option to smooth out. Make a whole bunch to different lengths and angles, then import and trim to the edges.

Once you realize what you need, it will not take long to make them up. There is no magic bullet. It all has to begin by doing something from hand work.

Wm.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:07 PM
Gyronut

Thankyou for your words of wisdom.
I have taken your advice.

Rick
Old 10-29-2003, 10:11 AM
narpets

I have some misc hardware/servos/etc in dxf format.
http://home.comcast.net/~daverc102/aboutrc.htm
Click on free files on the left.

I really need to add to his library, but just haven't had the time.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:40 AM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

Try here.

[email protected]