Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

airfoil for a 84" funtana

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 04:35 PM
toddh
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airfoil for a 84" funtana

I want to scratch build a big funtana.I have all the stuff to cut the wings just wondering what type of airfoil to use to make a good 3d type plane with a low wing loading.If anyone can give me a idea or send me a airfoil to download I would be greatful!!!!!!!

Thanks, Todd
Old 11-04-2003, 07:08 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: airfoil for a 84" funtana

Have you tried using CompuFoil?
Old 11-05-2003, 04:11 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

I just went through the same exercise your doing now.
I deceided to build a giant scale funtana but I ended up with more of a Yak design fun fly.

What I did was use the D&L Edge root wing templet for the root of the wing. And I took a wing rib templet from 1/2 way down the span of the D&L Edge wing and used this for the wing tip templet.

So I ended up with a taper wing that is a lot less tapered then the Edge. Greater wing volume with little weight gain.

I am just about ready to test fly. Its my own design with no cowl.

I know you already have the D&L Edge so you may want to consider this also.

My D&L Edge flies good so I think a less tapered wing will be more of a fun fly airplane.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:30 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

The 'regular' Funtana uses a NACA 0014 on the root, and a NACA 0020 on the tip, keeping the leading edge the same thickness though it's a tapered wing. Not sure what that's going to do as you increase the airplane size dramatically. I think they did the .40 size that way so it would fly more like a large plane.

Hope this helps.

phil in austin
Old 11-06-2003, 10:44 PM
toddh

Thanks for the ideas on the wing guys! I cut a set of wings yesterday for it. I used a upscale of the root rib from my 40 size but did not keep the constant chord on the bigger wing I think it would be too much drag.I want to use a zdz 40 size gas motor or maybe a da50.The wing area worked out to be 1440sq".I hope to keep it in the 13-14lb range.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:46 PM
toddh

Hey Tony, do you have any pics?What size is it and what motor did you use?Keep my updated on how you like it.

Todd