Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

autocad question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 10:44 PM
amtpdb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default autocad question

Can anyone help! I am trying to learn autocad 2002. When I tried to offset a line on a drawing 6", the program will only let me inter numbers with a decimal in the number. I tried to change the style manager to let me use round off in inches, and it will not let me! Also ,When I use the offset command, and then ask for the dimension, the 2 dimensions do not match!! Any help will be appreciated.( I offset a line 2.0 feet as it will not let me inter inches, and it says that the dimension is 1'8 3/16")
Don
Old 11-10-2003, 12:32 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: autocad question

I think you have something fouled up by trying to beat the system, or anticipate it. Cannot remember all the commands except off my memory, but you are confusing different operations.

Type in UNITS.
At command, set to #2, decimal.
Set number of decimal places to; 2.
Angular measurements to: 1
Decimal places to either Zero or 2.
Angle direction to Zero.
Clockwise? No.

The above data is nearly the default set-up numbers. The above will still permit you to insert linework in OFFSET either as fractional or decimal. But someone set your drawing parameters all wrong.

Dimension style can be set to fractional, but I would then set to inches and fractions only. Do not set to feet and inches, as when you get to less than one foot long, it does not always supress the zero. Most people can convert 56 inches into 4 feet 8 inches rather quickly.

Get rid of the snap spacing and OSNAP. Set to OFF. This can foul up automated dimensionaing. Turn off automatic tollerancing also. In doing an A/C plan, not too many things are perpendicular or at nice even fractional spacing. If you use the DIVIDE command the dimensioning will snap to the closest fractional distance, and thus the parts may not add up to the whole. Just try dividing anything by 13, dimensioning it, and you will then see the problem.

Before setting on an auto dimension, with update, take a measure of the item. Get a DISTANCE between the two corners, and then just before you tap OK for setting the dimensional data, Autocad will ask if the data shown is correct, and thus you can compare against the measured distance and know if it picked the correct points or not. If you alter the spacing of the lines after they are dimemsioned, 'Oft times the dimensions will pick the original postions, and not auto update the numbers. And you cannot set the rounding factor in dimensions to greater or equal to whole numbers. The rounding factor and snap spacing go hand in hand, thus is best to turn off both.

I learned the old way in that you do not trust the automatics. You may have learned opposite that. The old way is a few seconds slower, but once you get bit by a bad answer and find out way too late, you then become more cautious, distrustful and know when something did not come out as anticipated. In your noted example, it was found that the automated dimensioning is not always correct, or your drew something wrong. Now you have learned something that ought to stick in the back of your mind for awhile. Until you do something wrong, you become complacent and do not know when things are really right.

For similar problems, you may need to enter and ask such questions at one of the internet CAD forums hosted by Autodesk, or Cadalog (Now Turbocad). Google groups also has a few.

Wm.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:27 PM
amtpdb

Wm
Thanks for the information. I will have to try to reset everything tonight.
Thanks again.
Don
Old 11-10-2003, 08:48 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Also type in DIMSTYLE, click on MODIFY and you should make changes in this location too!
I do not have AUTOCAD opened right now to double check.
I am at home. AUTOCAD at work.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:34 PM
amtpdb

Roro:
Thanks for the quick responce.
I tried all of the suggestions that have been made. I must be doing something wrong! I tried opening a new sheet and everything worked. I checked all of the settings in the dimstyle and they are all the same in both the plan I am working on and the test sheet that works!!! I have looked in the 2002 for DUMMY'S and still can't figure it out!!! I will keep trying!!!
Thanks for trying to help.
Don
Old 11-11-2003, 01:54 PM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

CoosBay, close, but no cigar. His problem is that he's wanting to use inches instead of decimals. He needs to change the units to Architectural (this allows the use of feet, inches, and decimals).

Type "units", in the drop down menu "Type" pick Architectural, then in the drop down menu "Precision" choose something like 1/16" or however precise you want to be. Then just hit ok.

Now, if you want to make your dimensions architectural you will need to type in "dimstyle", click on Modify, go to "Primary Units" and in the "Unit format" drop down menu again choose Architectural. You can adjust your precision here as well.

Have fun.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:23 PM
cappio777
My Feedback: (2)

Thats why I love metric!
Old 11-11-2003, 08:46 PM
amtpdb

Beardking:
Thanks- we are getting closer! At least it takes the 4' dimension without telling me it needs to be decimal! I told it the dimension was 4'2.5" (I do not know how to get it to take 4' 2 1/2" as it will not take the space) and it say the new dimension is 42' 6 1/16" and is dissasociated !!! At least it takes the feet dimension now. With a little playing maybe I will figure out what else I am doing wrong.
Thanks again for your help.
Don