Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Hobby Laser Cutter

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 10:19 AM
localbuyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Laser Cutter

How much will it cost to get a laser cutter for just hobby purpose at home?
Old 11-14-2003, 11:35 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Hobby Laser Cutter

Whoa!!!

big purchace!!

There was thread on this a while ago. Don't remeber the thread, or teh forum it was in..

But ther were a few issues: Cost being the biggest. I would estimate the cost at something close to a new Volkswagen Jetta. Second being safety and safety related issues, not only form the 'cutting' of the laser, but also the fact that this is a laser, and the beam can and will bounce off reflective surfaces. I bekleive there are local and federal giudelines to follow.. And thridly, the size of teh thing and the space required. I bet your garage would jsut about fit it..
Old 11-14-2003, 11:58 AM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

A new entry level laser with a 12" x 24" bed will run you about $11,000 - 15,000 depending on the brand and the options. They are self contained units that weight about 300 lbs and require and exhaust blower. Don't worry about laser beams, the smaller lasers have coated glass that reflect the beam - and will not operate with the top open.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:20 PM
Rocketeer10

My friend Marc has a home business www.fxmodels.com and he has a 24x24 inch 25watt laser cutter he uses for rapid engineering and for cutting of plastics and etching resin models. Anyway, his first setup was a 16watt cutter and it cost $16000. it did pay for itself in less than a year. The 25watt was an upgrade so I don't know what the difference in price is. For your information however, the 16 watt was great for cutting balsa but not plywood!
GY
Old 11-14-2003, 07:28 PM
DougT

There are multiple laser manfgrs. out there. Epilog, Universal Laser Systems, Pinnacle. The one I'm looking at is about $16K for the base and about $2500 in options. They are about the size of a large photocopier.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:29 AM
DICKEYBIRD

A much less expensive solution is to build yourself a CNC router table. The accuracy is very close to laser systems and can be up and running for several hundreds of dollars, depending on how talented you are at scrounging and how good your electronics skills are. I built mine using a pre-built and tested electronics package and constucting the table/slides etc. myself. See this thread for a look at what several people have built. It's VERY long but is a good overview of successful, hobby level machines. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=62920

As was said in the above-mentioned thread; beware, it can be a whole new hobby/obsession!
Old 11-15-2003, 09:16 AM
crashnburn

Laser cutters are just to expensive for hobby use. For the set-up costs, You could have more kits cut by someone like Lazer Lizard than you could build in a lifetime. The is a company called Debece, debece.net, that sells CNC router cutters that run fromn 3,000-to a little more than 5,000 dollars, depending on what bed size you want. They have a short video clip on their web site and their machines cut plywood very well. Another option would be to build a CNC Router yourself, Check out crankorgan.net for plans and info. This website is worth some time just for the info. This guy makes it pretty clear most anyone can build their own CNC Rounter and/or CNC Milling machine for less than a $1000.00. A little searching on Google, and you will find several dozen sites dedicated to this subject.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:15 AM
CoosBayLumber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Owning a home laser cutter is not really practible due to the cost. Our town also has an ordinace against such ownership too. Finding a local firm which can do occasional laser cutting is more practible. You do not just go to the yellow pages, but instead have to think of all the different types of firms which use them. Trophy shops are at the top of the list right now as they do those flat portraits. Use a local firm until you get ready to go "big time" as you can then do just a few parts at a time for your project, correct and then go on until completion.

There is a fellow advertising on how to construct your own laser cutting at: www.emissiontechnologies.com

I had been looking into one of the dressmakers' flatbed knife cutting machines. They are safe for all communities. Are used for very accurate cutting of cloths and leather. The cutting edge looks much as an X-acto #11 blade does. These are used for prototype Hollywood style dresses and obsolete now, and one of the older machines can be obtained for about $2-3000. However, you have to be proficient in CAD as cut direction means so much with these.

Wm.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:53 PM
toy264

eBay item # 2573532277

It's big, but hey, starting bid is only $1,000, and if it'll handle 1/2 " mild steel, it probably would do the odd balsa plank! Hmm, zoning might be an issue though.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:44 PM
DougT

Toy264,

There's a difference in lasers meant to cut metal and ones for organic materials(balsa, stone, leather, etc.). Different wavelengths/hazards.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:02 PM
jstanaway

Of course, if you are looking at a laser cutter, like an Epilog Laser, you have to realize that the profits you can make are not just on the models, but on the wide variety of other products you can engrave and cut. I have a friend that leases one, and he makes great profits off of it. Check out their website at www.epiloglaser.com and see what you can do with it.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:08 PM
parabellum

the cost may come down soon.

I see alot of ad on magazine for Versalaser.com

which is targeting consumers, and it is around $10000 msrp.

however, if this catches on, the price will come down drastically.
laser printers were thousands of dollars when they were just for the business.
when home use models appear, the price came down to current couple hundred
dollars.