Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass cowl fabric weight?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Fiberglass cowl fabric weight?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 04:27 AM
Patriot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass cowl fabric weight?

When fabriacting a custom cowl for a large plane in the 80" range, what is generally the best weight of glass to use when making the cowl? And how many layers is generally recomended? 2-3?
If carbin fiber cloth is lighter, would it be better to uae? And, what weight of carbon cloth would be recommended as well?
I have never made my own cowl, but would love to try it with a plane I will be building from plans. Just not sure the best weight of materials to use for this.

Patriot
Old 11-26-2003, 10:17 AM
A7Bldr
My Feedback: (40)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglass cowl fabric weight?

Patriot, I do a little molding for fun. I assume you are going to produce a female mold and lay the cloth into it?
I would suggest 2 layers of 2 oz. cloth and a layer of 6 oz. cloth.
If there are any narrow areas (such as where a larger opening will be cut) you may want to add a layer in that area to prevent cracking.
Carbon is OK, but not sure its worth the effort to use. The cloth itself is stiffer and sometimes doesn't want to lay down as nicely as glass cloth.

Hope that is helpful,
Jim
Old 11-26-2003, 12:17 PM
cappio777
My Feedback: (2)

I normally use 3 layers of 4 oz with good results for up 80" span birds. I have to agree with Js about the carbon fiber, besides being considerably more expensive its also stiffer and harder to manipulate on objects with lots of contour.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:55 PM
Bruce L Prater

1-4oz and 1-6oz or 3-4oz layers