Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

What Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 01:19 PM
danny03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Engine?

I am thinking about scratch building a Sig Somethin' Extra from a set of plans that I am enlarging.
So, my problem is how do I determine the size of engine that will be needed? Is there a formula that
will tell me that if I have XX size of engine the my aircraft cannot exceed XX pounds or vice versa.
I appreciate any and all assistance and even your opinions.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:40 PM
Rubbie

Default RE: What Engine?

I don't do any scratch building so I don't know if I qualify to give an answer.....But....I would compare what other planes the size of what you are planning to build are using for the application that you want. For example you are building an acrobat with a wingspan of say 73-to-80 inches you can probably get away with a 1.20 fourstroke (or equivalent) to just fly around and 2.10 to really bring it to life. I don't know if that makes any sense but thats what I would do.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:06 PM
KC10Chief

Are you wanting to scale it up? If so, to what size? I designed a plane with a 6' span that looked similar to a Somethin Extra. Big thick airfoil and the wings were attached on a tube. I bolted the wings on instead of using rubber bands. I really recommend this. For that plane, I used an OS 1.20 four stroke. It flew great. It also had split ailerons for crow feature. My reciever failed in flight one day. Never really figured out why. It just wouldn't respond at all and plowed in. If you're just building a Somethin Extra that is off the plans, use an OS .46 FX or something similar. Maybe this will give you a few ideas. BTW, love your avitar! Matt
Old 12-09-2003, 08:35 AM
danny03

I am scaling up in size and what I would like to achieve is a size capable of handling a small gas engine. I have done some research and looked at other planes and compared the size & weight to the recommended Engine. I feel that will get me in the ball park and keep me from under/overpowering the airplane but I am still not sure if that is the best method to select an engine. As far as my avatar, I worked on kc-10's from 1983-1988 at March AFB, California as a Pneudraulic systems technician. I sure got to do alot of traveling overseas in support of the KC-10 and I met a lot of nice and even some very interesting people/cultures...If you look at my signature I am sure that you can relate.