Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Meet Rustik

Old 12-19-2003, 09:33 AM
CafeenMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Meet Rustik

Where to start about this plane?

Well, it's a Stik. It's not a Stik you'll see many of, but it is a Stik. My respect and admiration goes to Phil Kraft for this wonderful design.

Many of you have seen parts of this plane on my website. The Wing and Fuselage construction examples are of this plane as well as the all-wood landing gear (which still hasn’t been proven, btw).

This has been a long and interesting project. While working on it I lost a job, got a job, got injured on the job, sawed off a finger and parts of others in my shop, fell in love (but didn't spend nearly enough time with her), and more than quadrupled the size of my site. In fact, I became so involved in Airfield Models that I stopped working on this project for about 4 months.

With my time off from work I finally got motivated to get back to it. The project includes many firsts for me...

* First plane having quad flaps
* First time doing inlays
* First time making an all wood landing gear
* First time building a .40 size plane with all built up tail surfaces and an all-sheeted wood wing (have done foam though).
* First time having pull-pull controls on both elevator and rudder on a .40 size plane

Some Specs:

50" span having a 15% symmetrical airfoil. Wing area is approximately 600 square inches. Don't know the empennage areas, but they are built up symmetrical sections as well. The vertical and horizontal stabilizers as shown here weigh 3.1 oz. 20 hinges are used in total (3 each flap, 3 rudder, 5 stabilizer).

The tail moment is exceptionally long. I don't plan to fly this plane a lot, but it is about as straight as a model can be and with the planform, airfoils, moments, incidence settings, I expect her to do very smooth aerobatics and be well behaved.

The finish will be light fiberglass applied with epoxy. I've done this several times and am able to keep the finish very light by using very slow drying resin (1 hour working time) and scrapping off as much as possible. 3-4 light airbrushed coats of solvent-based polyurethane sanded between coats will complete the finish. My Stik 30 has the same finish on the fuselage and vertical stabilizer.

The engine used is an O.S. .52 four-stroke. Estimated weight will be less 5 - 6 lbs. Not a lightweight, but respectable considering the fully sheeted construction and embellishments (eight 1/64" inlayed Maltese crosses). Wing loading will be around 21 oz/square foot.

Airframe weight (sans hardware, landing gear, engine, and flight pack) is about 2 3/4 lbs. That does include all the hinges though.

I’ll be using my Futaba 8UHP with seven servos onboard: 4 JR FS 500 mini’s having 31 oz/in of torque drive the flaperons. Futaba S3002’s (50+ oz/in) will move the rudder and elevator. A Hitec HS 85 nylon gear BB handles the throttle. Receiver is a Hitec RCD 3200, 8 channel.

I haven’t decided on a battery pack yet and am open to suggestions. The only two suitable packs I have are a 1,000 mAh 4.8v nicad pack and a 1,200 mAh nimh 6v pack. The 4.8 pack was in the Raptor when I crashed it. It doesn’t look damaged and cycles ok, but I haven’t actually used it since the crash.

All that's left to do is make the fuselage to wing fairing, finish and add the fairings to the cable exits. I also made a 3/16" square balsa fairing that is hollowed for the antenna. It will be glued to the underside of the fuselage. Also need to finish sand and round off the edges of the aft fuselage. Plan to put a cap on the aft end too.

All in all the design isn't anything out of the ordinary. It's the same "new and original" Stik that gets published every month in every major R/C magazine. But a little style goes a long way in making a model stand out.

However, I won't be publishing it because the world doesn't need another Stik design. Even so, I’m very proud of my work so far on this design. Not the design so much, but the construction quality and that the inlays came out fitting so well.

Unfortunately there was one catastrophe that I’m not real happy about. When I finished the wing, I put a couple nails in a large piece of Masonite (about 2’ x 8’) and hung the wing on it by using the servo hatches. I put my heavy engine test stand at the end of my driveway and leaned the Masonite against it so I could take some photos. When I went inside to get my camera I came back out to find the board had blown over and was laying on top of the wing.

I expected the wing to be crushed, but it survived with no structural damage. Well, no damage to its strength. But the upper sheeting was encrusted with driveway pebbles and gravel – some of which went all the way through the sheeting. I’m calling it weathering and living with it. No real way to repair it that wouldn’t look even worse under a natural finish. If I were painting, a little putty would fix it right up.

Oh… the control horns on the rudder and elevator are 3/32” plywood with nylon inserts. My buddy is trying to convince me to use wood horns on the flaps too, but I didn’t build anything into them to glue the horns to, so I’ll be using standard nylon horns there.

I was thinking about turning a wood spinner (cocobo maybe?), but two things are stopping me. First, I don’t have a lathe and don’t know anyone with a lathe. Second, I’m afraid it would shatter when the engine turned up. Maybe not, but unless I find a way to make one in the first place, I’ll never know.

So, that’s about all I have to say about it right now. I plan to begin finishing it in the next few weeks. A lot depends on a few custom orders that may be coming in as well as the weather. I don’t apply fiberglass when it’s raining because the humidity does funny things to epoxy.

I hope you enjoy looking at it. More details to come…
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23324.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	83572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64869.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	83573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm21971.jpg
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	83574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97280.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	83575  
Old 12-19-2003, 09:36 AM
CafeenMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Meet Rustik

More images. Sorry about the quality of these. They were taken with a digital video camera with existing light. I also shot some with a real camera but the film is still in the camera.

Name:	Vt56547.jpg
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	83576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31238.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	83577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80451.jpg
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	83578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn33048.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	83579  
Old 12-19-2003, 09:38 AM
CafeenMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And the rest of what I've got so far. If you're interested in the construction, see the links in the first post.

Name:	Mk25521.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	83582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20566.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	83583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty63906.jpg
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	83584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82652.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	83585  
Old 12-20-2003, 05:56 AM
aubeachbum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why have you got German designs on the plane? Didnt we fight against them in the war or something.... or was that the French?

ps Who stole my name []

pps... registering on this site is like breaking into Fort Knox
Old 12-20-2003, 06:00 AM
CafeenMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aubeachbum

Why have you got German designs on the plane?
Because it's classic man..

Didnt we fight against them in the war or something.... or was that the French?
Yep - right after they bombed Pearl Harbor.

ps Who stole my name []
BeachBum did it!

pps... registering on this site is like breaking into Fort Knox
Helps to keep out the Riff Rats.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:52 AM
aubeachbum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I finally got to actually reading your original post instead of just skimming and seeing the piccies and I have a few comments.

1. You seem to know what you are talking about on this forum. Why is it that you appear to be so inept and unpatriotic on other forums?

2. At first I didnt see the 'fell in love' bit. That's with a real person eh? Not one of the toys from that other 'model' shop u frequent?

3. The planes look excellent. It's amazing that the German aircraft industry survived to make such planes after we nuked two of their cities

ps I hate talented people
Old 12-21-2003, 07:06 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

VERY cool stuff C-man! I think a unique model or construction method is definitely art. I like to build my planes from hordes of little sticks with lightening holes in all the sheet parts and cover the finished product with translucent MonoKote so I don't have to hide all that work!

Oh, and aubeachbum, 'tweren't us that nuked them 2 German cities, 'twas one of them alien saucer thingies we made a deal with, late in the war. Everybody knows that! Don't you read the National Enquirer?
Old 01-11-2004, 12:55 AM
CafeenMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rustik is finally on her way to being finished. This is the first coat of polyurethane (MinWax solvent based clear). It will dry for several days and then be sanded almost back down to the fiberglass. That should give it an excellent base for a finish coat. If not, then another sanding and a third coat should finish it. Then a rub and some good auto wax.

Name:	Qo39944.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	89433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89958.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	89434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38194.jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	89435  
Old 02-16-2004, 01:11 PM
CafeenMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The end is finally in sight. Have to finish painting the wing, flaps and elevator. Then it's a matter of finishing assembly. I plan to make some spoked wheel, but I'll probably use Williams WWI wheels for test flights.

I also decided as long as I'm being obsessive about all this that I'd make a wood tail wheel mount.

You can also see the 3/16" square stick I grooved for the antenna. I might drill a hole between the exit in the stick and the tailwheel mount and shove the last couple inches up in the fin so it's not dangling in the breeze.

Name:	Ec89880.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	101669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76202.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	101670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81298.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	101671  
Old 02-16-2004, 01:24 PM
CafeenMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Some of the radio installation. The hole in the bottom of the fuse where the antenna exits was given extra attention to make sure it is smooth and won't cut the wire.

BTW - the Pull-Pull cables are .020 music wire.

Name:	Wu60176.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	101673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26437.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	101674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90366.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	101675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16473.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	101676  
Old 02-18-2004, 03:52 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GOOD GRIEF!!!

Will you fly it or hang it over the fireplace?!

Absolutely beautiful work. Will there be an ARF?
Old 02-18-2004, 05:42 PM
CafeenMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

GOOD GRIEF!!!

Will you fly it or hang it over the fireplace?!

Absolutely beautiful work. Will there be an ARF?
My buddy came by the other day and told me I have built the first ever $2,000 Stik. Not that I'd ever be able to sell one for that and to be honest, it wouldn't even be worth it considering how long this one has taken.

Thanks for the compliments. I made a set of floats back in the 80's that I still have (same finish). I took them to the field one day to show them off and a guy said, "What is this? Furniture?!?!"

Compliments come in strange forms sometimes.

Yes, it will fly.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:31 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just want to say I really like the tapered nose! That is really cool!
Old 02-24-2004, 10:27 PM
CafeenMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: spokman

Just want to say I really like the tapered nose! That is really cool!
Thanks, Spokman.

The spinner in the photos is a Fox Slim Jim (out of production). Unfortunately, this plane came out fairly nose-heavy and that spinner is 4 oz. I'll be using a Fox conical spinner instead because it weighs half as much. Also had to move the battery pack behind the wing and it's still slightly nose-heavy. Never would have imagined that considering the built up tail and the long tail-moment.

The plane is almost done. I'm waiting for hinge glue to dry now. All that's left is to attach the control surfaces, finalize the battery installation, adjust linkages, finish the elevator pull-pulls and finish painting the wheels. Probably about another 10 hours or so.

I'm trying to have it done for this weekend. I won't be doing the test flight - I'll be video taping. The video will be on my website once I get it edited as well as an article about the plane and more photos.

Stay tuned....

- Paul
Old 02-28-2004, 10:05 PM
CafeenMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maiden flight completed today.