Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Beechcraft Staggerwing

Old 12-21-2003, 09:02 PM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Beechcraft Staggerwing

I finally took some time and put together a Photo Tutorial on my building project. I have included numerous photos of the construction of my 64 inch wing span model that I am building from plans. Check out the articles on my web site forum at http://iflyrc.hypermart.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl . Look fot "The Staggerwing". Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65493.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	84285  
Old 12-22-2003, 10:12 AM
beepee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Beechcraft Staggerwing

A truly impressive project and excellent presentation. What are your potential sources for landing gear? How do you plan to cover? I have not dealt with it on any of my previous projects, but I am very curious about covering those wing fillets. My mind just can't get around successfully completing that task.

Keep us informed of your progress!

Bedford
Old 12-22-2003, 12:13 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the compliments on the presentation. As far as landing gear, I am considering Spring Air retracts. The deciding factor will be the final weight of the model. If she comes in heavy, I may have to install non-retractable gear.

As for the covering, I am looking as Coverite (the kind with texture) or Monocote. The full scale G17s have a gloss finish so I could use Monocate. Agian, weight is a consideration. I have used both types of convering and find that Coverite is easier to work with on complex contours (like the wing fillets). It takes a lot of patience, time and finese to get any covering to be applied to these types of surfaces.

Regards,
iFLYrc
Old 12-22-2003, 03:14 PM
Doug D.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree nice presentation! I think that Spring Air retracts will work fine for your needs. If you talk to them and show them what your building, they may make recommendations. Good luck and have fun! [&:]
Old 07-18-2004, 09:57 AM
iFLYrc_Vic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A friend of mine has been collecting magazine articles and documentation on the Staggerwing for a modeling project. He abandoned the project and gave me a binder full of goodies. One article is on the construction and flying of the RCM Plans model 620. It is a stand-off scale model with a 64 inch wing span like my Robert Sweitzer model. There are some invaluable tips on construction and flying that will be helpful with my project. I will post some of these as I continue my project.

BTW - Precision Kit Cutters now have the model I am building "in stock" as a laser cut kit. I don't know what the price is as they did not post a price list.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:32 PM
davisf
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Let's go back to a D 17, please. I just bought a Royal kit. It is almost ready to cover (the previous owner did a great joob weith teh build but didn't quite finish), so I finishing a few minor things and polishing the details and then it is ready for radio and covering. I would like to do it like a WW2 bomber, in olive drab because I have not seen any done the way. I think all the arf's are red!. I have looked at pictures on the web and there aren't a lot. Does anyone know how the D17's were skinned? Fabric or fiberglas shiney? Also I had NO IDEA that the flaps and ailerons were set up that way...so...can anyone tell me how the D17's were set up? Thanks Davis