Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Duplicating plastic model parts to R/C size

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Duplicating plastic model parts to R/C size

Old 05-16-2002, 07:35 PM
Shawnusa
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duplicating plastic model parts to R/C size

Okay Guys,

How do I put this? I want to take for instance a 1/48th scale A-10 smart bomb and enlarge it to say 1/6th scale, and add it to A-10 R/C jet. No, I have no real 1/6th scale A-10 just used the idea as an example.

Can anyone out there explain the details in between to get there. Like how does the scale factor work? I buy alot of plastic models as refrece to projects I plan to do, but have not figured out how to scale up to meet my R/C projects size.

Anyway, I appricate your posts and comments.

Shawnusa
Old 05-17-2002, 05:22 AM
Mike James

Default Plastic models as a reference

There's a thread on scale factoring at http://rcuniverse.com/showthread.php...775&forumid=58

If you haven't assembled the plastic bomb yet, you could trace each part onto graph paper, and then, by enlarging the grid to the appropriate scale, re-draw it at the scale you want.

It's really very simple. A 1/48th scale model is 0.02083333 actual size. (1 divided by 48) A 1/6th scale model is 0.1666667 actual size. So. multiply the 1/48th dimensions by 8 to get your parts sized correctly.

By the way, Robart makes a handy "Modeler's Scale" that will help with a lot of these things. A simple calculator will also do the trick.

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2002, 11:06 AM
AV8TOR
My Feedback: (2)

I did this many years back before CAD to make plugs for helicopter bodies. Build the plastic kit and set up a camera on a tripod using slide film. Take all the shots from the same camera distance. Take top and side first. Then using an exacto saw start cutting cross sections at ¼” intervals. Trace these sections to paper and take shots of these. After developing the film I set up my helicopter body against a wall and moved the slide image until the rotor and tail rotor gearbox lined up. This gave me my needed scale. Then change images and draw these and basically make your scale drawing now. Crude but effective.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:31 PM
Shawnusa
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks guys for the info. I guess I was just thinking to hard about it. A part at 1/48th scale measuring 1.5 inches long , would equate to 12 inches long. Sounds right.

Shawnusa