Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

CAD Input Devices

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 09:37 AM
jbeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAD Input Devices

Hi all,

Quick question for you home CAD users (and specifically AutoCad users):

What do you use as an input device? Do most users of AutoCad or the other CAD programs use the mouse to "draw", or do you have digitizing tablets?

If you use a mouse, no more questions. But if you are using a digitizing tablet, can you recommend a make / model that will work with AutoCad (2002 with Mechanical Desktop, if that matters), and is reasonably affordable for a home computer...

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2003, 09:54 AM
jbeck

Default RE: CAD Input Devices

I forgot to mention that my primary use will be to draw plans / convert existing plans - you know, general RC CAD stuff!
Old 12-23-2003, 10:10 AM
heli001
My Feedback: (5)

jbeck,

Mouse here, haven't used a digitizer in years......... since you can import raster images (three views, etc.), tracing is much easier on the screen.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:05 PM
Closterman

I have used a digitizing tablet when we are with AutoCad 12 in DOS.... some years ago !! Since AutoCad 2000, you don't need it in my opinion.
In fact, if you want one, we have 3 or 4 tablet at the shop and nobody use it.... A good laser mouse are the best. Take some time to config your button icon at your taste and you will be in business !!
Old 12-23-2003, 01:26 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Yup, digitizer = dodo.

you can get 'CAD' specifc mice, such as the spaceball, and you'll pay abouty as much as a digitizer (If you can find one!!)

Mouse works, get a three button model, with a wheel..

I use a Logitek Marble man.. works great!
Old 12-23-2003, 01:58 PM
jbeck

Hi Closterman,

I sent you a PM about one of your tablets.

Thanks!

John
Old 12-23-2003, 02:05 PM
heli001
My Feedback: (5)

John,

I'm running AC 2004....you will find that a digitizing tablet will take up desk space, double your production time, and be a good place to put your ashtray, or be used as a big-a**ed mouse tablet......go with a good wheel-laser mouse and have fun.....the tablet isn't worth the shipping.........
Old 12-23-2003, 02:52 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way back when, I used a tablet, but after I'd customized ACAD.lsp to two-letter commands, ala Generic CADD, I use the mouse all the time.
A good tablet user can do a decent job, OTOH. Learning where the commands are around the drawing area is easy, and probably as quick as typing in the short commands.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:15 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must be one of those exceptions. I still have and use a couple of the large and small Calcomp digitizer tablets.

The small tablet is so-so in initial set up, however once you get accustoned to it. The small tablets are used for Autocad command purposes more often than graphics purposes. They give you a plastic overlay for the small tablet whey you purchase the software, from which are numerous boxes which relate to commands. A wrote several AutoLisp programs which get used in developing model A/C plans. Once familiar with basics, you place the command names into the coordinated boxes, and then execute short-cuts without having to type in the commands on the keyboard. You can also assign a function to one of the 16 buttons on the cursor. I also use a small tablet with my laptop computer, an it is plain infeasible to use the tiny built in mouse and keyboard on these. Don't even think of considering using one of the cheap little tablets for a full sized plan.

I can tape up a large sized plan onto the large tablet, beep in the lines which I need to complete some portion of the plan, still be within Autocad and keep going. After a while, you know which points to digitize, and then align up and build exterior and interior lines for your plan. If I am only interested in reproducing the winghalf, or the top/side fuselage views, this is done within about 10 minutes on a tablet. No matter what everyone indicates, you cannot accurately trace lines from a plan used a mouse.

If you want to re-do a full sized plan and are thinking of scanning, you really need a lot of smoke in the computer. A 36" by 60" plan will generally take up about 15-20 Meg space when in the graphics mode. Just to handle this size of drawing will mean a delay in panning of about 15-30 seconds per application. If you are thinking of tracing this large of original drawing, be aware the regeneration time will eventially annoy you such that you want to cut up the drawing into smaller sizes. To convert the same drawing over to vectors, it will also pick up the dirt, creases and folds into vectors. Again a cumbersome handling drawing.

I have some pictures and information on my web site as to digitizing tablets. There is also a lot of information about hooking up digitizers at the Autodesk and Calcomp web sites.

Wm.