Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

New airplane for my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 04:57 PM
AndersE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New airplane for my engine?

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this post...

I've built and flown my Senior Telemaster for about a year now, and I feel the need for new challenges.
The STM is mainly used for aerial photography, but I'd also like to be able to shoot aerial video with my camcorder.

So... now I'm itching for a new build project, my wishlist is as follows:
Fairly large (the STM has an 8' wingspan)
Broad fuse (to accept camcorder)
Preferably a split-wing design (as my STM is)
It should be able to fly with my 4-stroke ASP 1.20.

I'm not scared of plans-only.

/Anders
Old 12-26-2003, 05:36 PM
parabellum

Default RE: New airplane for my engine?

I'm not sure bigger than 8' wing span can fly with just 1.2 glow 4 stroke engine.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:19 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You've already got the wing area you need with the STM. What about just a new fatter cargo fuselage? Transplant the wings and tail over to the new fuselage or make a new set if you want to keep the old one intact.

To keep the weight under control the new fuselage should probably move away from all sheet construction and use something like a built up old timer or rubber model style of construction. Patterning the new fuselage after something like a Taylorcraft or old Stinson Reliant type of airplane where the cabin was set up for side by side seating of either 2 or 4 people will ensure that the cabin is spacious enough for any Hi8 or smaller camcorder to fit sideways. Building in a few extra camera windows into the model will give you the flexibility you want. The front and side windows would be fine for forward and side shots. Perhaps a belly window would offer possibilities for down or oblique down shots.

The structure could be based on 1/4 spruce longerons with 1/4 sq balsa warren truss uprights to offer good stiffness to the structure. Sheet fill at the nose and landing gear points would help to absorb the viration of the engine and landing shocks. The truss work would be modified as required to flow around the camera ports.

From my experience building old timers for RC there is no reason the new fat fuselage can't be built to the same weight as the old STM version. And a wing of that size won't even notice the extra pound of so of the camera over what you've carried so far. If the field you fly from seems a bit short for takeoffs and landings then perhaps a set of flaps or a change to a higher cambered airfoil would offer better slow speed performance and shorter field requirements. Something like a Goettingen 501 that I have on one of my OT's would offer a flap down like flight mode but without the excess drag of a regular flap.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:41 PM
Kenny R

Have to agree with BMathews on this one The telemaster you have is a good place to start. I built and flew one of these with a 60 2 stroke, was to much power for this type plane, (for me anyway). Put a cheap LA40 on it and flew it a long time. could take off in very short distance. I havent carried a camcorder but my buddy has carried bunches of lights and a big flashlight (mag type) on his(it has a la40 also) to fly at night probably not as heavy as a camcorder btu you couldnt really tell it was even carring anything.

Now to the point. Wouldnt the 4 stroke 1.2o pull a 10 foot winged telemaster? If you just scaled up your telemaster plans wouldnt this work? Maybe "fatten" the fuselage.

I dont know...something to think about .....
Old 12-27-2003, 04:20 PM
AndersE

Keeping the wing does sound like a great idea... now why didn't I think of that?

My STM weighs in at about 11-12 pounds including 2.1 M-pixel digital camera.
It takes off at 1/4 throttle, or within 3 yards at full throttle.

I've heard about people who have them fly at 25 pounds, don't know with which engine though...

I'm happy, and probaly off to buy some balsa soon. Not sure if my girlfriend will be equally happy

Thanks!