Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Slowstick scratch built wing - control rod setup help please

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Slowstick scratch built wing - control rod setup help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 12:41 PM
fprintf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slowstick scratch built wing - control rod setup help please

I am making a semi-symmetrical aileron wing for my slowstick. I have the wing made and have mounted a single microservo in the center of the wing.

Unfortunately I am having difficulty with control rod slop. I have tried both .032 music wire rods directly from the servo to the control horns, and .020 rods through old nyrods. The direct .032 route tends to bend the rod a little and if I push on the aileron, like the wind might, the aileron just pushes down without the servo moving (taking up the slack I think).

With the .020 rods they are too light for the direct linkage so I routed them through old nyrods. This seemed like an awesome solution except the nyrods are just slightly too large and the .020 moves around. .032 is too thick and causes just a little binding when making the 90 degree turn.

In the attached picture I have the nyrod setup hooked up. I have placed the .032 laying where it would have been connected just for illustrative purposes. I put a z-bend in the middle of the .032 rod to try and control some of the wire bending. Incidentally, on the .032 direct setup I have the servo horns facing 90 degrees opposite of the the picture and each rod attached to an opposite end of the servo horn.

Any suggestions? Should I just abandon this and try to make torque rods instead given the size of the aileron?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96244.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	86512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74512.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	86513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44941.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	86514  
Old 12-31-2003, 12:57 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Slowstick scratch built wing - control rod setup help please

Get some of the proper Sullivan cable and tubing pushrod setup. I think it's called Golden Rod. The flexible cable fits the nylon tubing better for less slop but still retains the ease of control. Solid wire has no business being used in a bent tube like you're doing. There's just too much binding if the wire is large enough and too much slop if it's thin enough to be flexible.